Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where will SpaceX land the returning stages?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so I thought I'd start a thread.

How close to the launch site would SpaceX land the returning stages? Does a Florida launch mean it will have to land in Florida? Would SpaceX use their spaceport in New Mexico for landings?

It seems the first landings will have to be carefully planned as to not endanger population centers with a tragic malfunction.

So where do people think the takeoffs and landings will occur? Elon has said he would like to do at least one before the end of the year.

To Vandenberg:
VAFB2.jpg

And to Cape (time 31m 13s):
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
How close to the launch site would SpaceX land the returning stages? Does a Florida launch mean it will have to land in Florida? Would SpaceX use their spaceport in New Mexico for landings?
I think the goal is to bring the stages (or at least the first stage) back to very near the launch site. This coincides with Elon's stated goal for rapid reuse -- something that eventually approximates 'put it back on the launch-pad, fill it up, and launch again'.

It seems the first landings will have to be carefully planned as to not endanger population centers with a tragic malfunction.
Part of the work they started with Grasshopper was to show good side-to-side control of the rocket. I think the plan is:
- When re-entering the lower atmosphere, put the stage on a ballistic trajectory that would end up with it still over the ocean
- As long as the engine lights again when getting closer to the ground and everything is confirmed to be in good working order, move the stage sideways to target and land on a pad very near the ocean, but on land.

That way, if something does go wrong in the return flight, the rocket stage will make a splash instead of a crater...

Haven't seen this discussed anywhere, so I thought I'd start a thread.

So where do people think the takeoffs and landings will occur? Elon has said he would like to do at least one before the end of the year.

The simple answer for now is Cape Canaveral. As Elon stated yesterday we should see a landing on Cape Canaveral later this year or early next year.