Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know there are a lot of Chaedmo fans out there. I own a Nissan Leaf and decided to give it a try. Perhaps you can answer some of my questions:

1. Why is the plug so dang humongous? Seriously, it's like we're back at a gas station.

2. Why can't the charger split power between two bays, just as a SpC can do? Instead, I'm forced to wait until the other car finishes completely before mine will start to ramp up.

3. Chaedmo supports up to 62.5 kWh IIRC. Leafs only charge at about 44 kW so why isn't the remainder available to the next guy who comes along?

4. Yes, I realize that some output only 50 kW max. What fraction of Chaedmo's in CA operate at the full 62.5 kW capacity?

So I know there are a lot of Chaedmo fans out there. I own a Nissan Leaf and decided to give it a try. Perhaps you can answer some of my questions:

1. Why is the plug so dang humongous? Seriously, it's like we're back at a gas station.
I really don't care. It does the job fairly well. The size of the plug is something which doesn't bother me.

2. Why can't the charger split power between two bays, just as a SpC can do? Instead, I'm forced to wait until the other car finishes completely before mine will start to ramp up.
Technically possible, the manufacturer just has to do it. Not something which is limited by CHAdeMO.

3. Chaedmo supports up to 62.5 kWh IIRC. Leafs only charge at about 44 kW so why isn't the remainder available to the next guy who comes along?
Again, up to the manufacturer to build it into the charger.

4. Yes, I realize that some output only 50 kW max. What fraction of Chaedmo's in CA operate at the full 62.5 kW capacity?
High capacity power grid connections are expensive?

If two products can do the same thing but one looks better and makes people comfortable when they hold it then why not? Tesla not only designed a better looking and easier to handle plug but also delivers more power at the moment. It does make a difference. Apple (along with countless other companies of course) has shown design matters to customers.

Pictures or it didn't happen. There's a basic big, fat, straight plug, but there are CHAdeMO stations with less bulky plugs.

I wouldn't care so much about the size, more about how easy it is to line up.

Tesla should just expand superchargers to include metro charging, then there would be very little need for Model S owners to buy a CHAdeMO. This would enable destination charging and not leave owners in a lurch when they are traveling somewhere that doesn't necessarily have EV friendly hotels.

Tesla should just expand superchargers to include metro charging, then there would be very little need for Model S owners to buy a CHAdeMO. This would enable destination charging and not leave owners in a lurch when they are traveling somewhere that doesn't necessarily have EV friendly hotels.

It would be better to just make sure there are more EV friendly hotels.

Metro chargers are more likely to be douchebagged.
You can have anti-douchebaggery fees, but that adds complication.

If Tesla really make a moves on metro charging, I'd expect them to do it with smart multi-way L2 for use in shared lots where there's an overall capacity issue..