Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reboot on 5.9 changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I had an issue (browser wasn't working) so I wanted to restart just my 17". The forums/help things I read said this:

"SCREEN REBOOT (Main Display): Hold down the middle steering wheel buttons on both sides for a few seconds to reboot the main display. SCREEN REBOOT (Driver’s Display):Hold down the top steering wheel buttons on both sides for a few seconds to reboot the driver’s console display."

On my car (5.9 firmware), holding both top steering wheel buttons does nothing. Pressing in on the middle scrollers and holding reboots the driver display first but not the 17". If you hold longer both will reboot at the same time.

Is this normal/expected? Why is it different than what everyone else seems to have documented/mentioned? Can anyone confirm this?

FWIW the reboot fixed the browser issue and oddly also fixed my seat heater issue (4/5 seat heaters weren't working before reboot).

"SCREEN REBOOT (Main Display): Hold down the middle steering wheel buttons on both sides for a few seconds to reboot the main display. SCREEN REBOOT (Driver’s Display):Hold down the top steering wheel buttons on both sides for a few seconds to reboot the driver’s console display."

as you wrote should do what it says above. The center buttons should reboot the 17" screen.

Hi folks, I had an issue (browser wasn't working) so I wanted to restart just my 17". The forums/help things I read said this:

On my car (5.9 firmware), holding both top steering wheel buttons does nothing. Pressing in on the middle scrollers and holding reboots the driver display first but not the 17". If you hold longer both will reboot at the same time.

Is this normal/expected? Why is it different than what everyone else seems to have documented/mentioned? Can anyone confirm this?

FWIW the reboot fixed the browser issue and oddly also fixed my seat heater issue (4/5 seat heaters weren't working before reboot).

You have to hold down those top buttons longer. It feels like it's not doing anything, but just when you're ready to give up...

After some trial and error it seems that you have to hold the top 2 buttons for longer than 10s for the reboot. About 20-25 works for me but then you have to let go and then wait up to 10s to see it start booting.

The big screen you just press in on the wheels and it reboots in about 10s. Odd that they're different.

For the instrument cluster display, you have to hold the respective buttons for a ridiculous amount of time (~30s). The main screen is more reasonable (~10s).

Does Tesla really think people will hold down these buttons for prolonged periods by accident?!

Have you tried holding those down for 30s while driving? 10s is not great, 30s is dangerous.

Fortunately its usually the 17" you need to reboot.

Rebooting during driving is fine. The systems that run the car are separate from the reboot.

However, I think with 5.9 they made it so you can no longer reboot while driving. I tried once while in drive to do the reboot sequence (on the scroll wheels) but it seemed to be ignored. Later, I did it after getting in the car while it was still "off". It rebooted as expected after 5-7 seconds. I haven't tried it again to confirm. Prior to 5.9 I had rebooted the center screen 4 or 5 times while driving without issue.