Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simply stopped charging overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only have had the car a couple weeks, but I have been consistently getting 29-30 mi/hr on my home 240V. Took a road trip on Easter to visit some relatives and hooked it up to a regular 110V. It never was the same, getting 20-24 mi/hr. Hooked it up last night at home and it looks like it just stopped charging shortly after I went to sleep. Tried it again this morning and stopped charging after a few mins. Anyone else have this issue? Know of a simple fix? Or better to just bring it to a SC? Of course, I am taking a road trip today (should be ok with mileage though).

Only have had the car a couple weeks, but I have been consistently getting 29-30 mi/hr on my home 240V. Took a road trip on Easter to visit some relatives and hooked it up to a regular 110V. It never was the same, getting 20-24 mi/hr. Hooked it up last night at home and it looks like it just stopped charging shortly after I went to sleep. Tried it again this morning and stopped charging after a few mins. Anyone else have this issue? Know of a simple fix? Or better to just bring it to a SC? Of course, I am taking a road trip today (should be ok with mileage though).

Reboot. If that doesn't solve the problem, contact Ownership and ask them to pull the logs.

Last week I had a very similar problem where my 85 stopped charging after a few minutes and then there was a loud clanking / thinking sound from the left rear of the car. I got a message on the drivers display saying to contact Tesla Service. Called my local SC, they pulled the logs OTA and a few minutes later called me back to say that they believed the button on the handle of my HPWC cable was malfunctioning. Two hours later a service guy from the SC came to my house, replaced my cable and from then on no problems.

I love that level of service where the problem is diagnosed remotely and someone comes to my house and fixes it.

This is one of two significant hardware issues I have had with the car since getting it last December. Last month I got a call from my SC saying they wanted to replace the drivers display module proactively although I had not had any problems that I was aware of. The cars error log had alerted them to a potential issue. They replaced the display.

About 7K miles so far. Awesome service!

Any messages displayed on the screen? What color was the charging ring around the plug?

If it's a white ring, it means no power to the port.
If it's a blue ring, it means the car is not ready to charge but voltage is seen.
If it's a red ring, there will be an error associated with it.
If it's a yellow ring, cord's not inserted all the way.
If it's a green ring, it's charging.

EDIT: If the ring is dark, it either means a charging port failure or a cord hasn't been plugged in within a reasonable time and has locked out the connector.

Last edited:
It's just low voltage, dropping below the 105V lower limit of the charger's operating range. The fix is to drop the current setting from 12 to 5A. Then observe the voltage after things settle down. Say it is 110V. Now increase to 6A and watch the voltage. Keep increasing amps until the voltage reaches about 107-108. (That's to leave room for overnight drops).

Don't do this in reverse, stepping down from 12A, as it will trip and that requires unplugging at the charge port and reconnecting each time. Unlike power outages, it will not automatically restart charging, assuming you are in a brownout.

It's just low voltage, dropping below the 105V lower limit of the charger's operating range. The fix is to drop the current setting from 12 to 5A. Then observe the voltage after things settle down. Say it is 110V. Now increase to 6A and watch the voltage. Keep increasing amps until the voltage reaches about 107-108. (That's to leave room for overnight drops).

Don't do this in reverse, stepping down from 12A, as it will trip and that requires unplugging at the charge port and reconnecting each time. Unlike power outages, it will not automatically restart charging, assuming you are in a brownout.

He said this was on his home 240V, don't know where you're seeing voltage is < 105V?

Any messages displayed on the screen? What color was the charging ring around the plug?

If it's a blue ring, it means the car is not ready to charge but voltage is seen.

Very helpful, reputation points added!

EDIT: If the ring is dark, it either means a charging port failure or a cord hasn't been plugged in within a reasonable time and has locked out the connector.

Thanks v much, this is a nice cheat sheet! Since day 1, I have had minor troubles getting the ring to go from yellow to green, but with enough 'fiddling' around I can get it to green, but it can take removing and replacing the cord 3-4x. While it's not a huge deal, it certainly seems like it should be easier and could be a sign of a bad cable and/or charge port. And just to give an update, last night it charged through the night but only at 20-22 mi/hr which agains still seems like it could be an issue (at least to me). And surprising to me, I did get a voice mail from the local SC to give them a call back. I didn't get the message until it was too late to return their call, but I will do that today and report back w an update. Thanks for everyone's help on this.