Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S owner hit 75,000 miles, still gets 93% of original range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model S owner over on the official TM site has hit 75,000 miles (!!), and still gets 93% (246 rated / 278 ideal) on a full charge. AMAZING!

He also mentions his air suspension is still going strong. The longevity of our cars is looking good.

Battery Longevity @ 75 Thousand Miles | Forums | Tesla Motors

Rated:
75Ka.jpg

Ideal:
75Kb.jpg

Just remember that an accelerated test like this isn't going to represent results that someone who drives 12k miles/year is going to see after 6-7 years because lithium batteries age just sitting around. I bet that a 6-7 year old car with ~75k miles will be down somewhere around 85% if not lower.

That's pretty good. The Roadster battery lost around 0.16% per 1000 miles, so it would have lost something like 12%.

7% over 75k miles means that if the current degradation continues, you'd be looking at around 70% remaining capacity after 300k miles.

(I wouldn't go so far as to say *amazing* - this is about what one could expect given the larger size of the Model S battery vs the Roadster battery, and that it is a newer design.)

- - - Updated - - -

Just remember that an accelerated test like this isn't going to represent results that someone who drives 12k miles/year is going to see after 6-7 years because lithium batteries age just sitting around. I bet that a 6-7 year old car with ~75k miles will be down somewhere around 85% if not lower.
I agree age is the biggest question - I hope the battery will last something like 150k miles over 15 years. (Cars are generally scrapped here after ~20 years on the road, and the average mileage is around 10k miles/year.)

The good thing with the Roadster data is that it shows no correlation between age and degradation. If the Model S performs similarly, age won't ruin the battery.

Soon enough Tesla is going to have to think about a trade in program for new batteries for owners whose batteries have dropped below, say, 75%. Good for recycling and hopefully exchange price. That or a lease program for new batteries.

Age related capacity loss correlates strongly with temperature (and SOC)

attachment.php?attachmentid=23059&stc=1&d=1370224174.png

Last edited:
Soon enough Tesla is going to have to think about a trade in program for new batteries for owners whose batteries have dropped below, say, 75%. Good for recycling and hopefully exchange price. That or a lease program for new batteries.

You aren't going to see anything like that until Tesla isn't battery constrained anymore.

That's what I was thinking. There's calendar life as well as charge cycle degradation.

Around 150 miles per day, he's exercising that battery in a much different way than the average driver. I'm nearly at 30K miles in 16 months, but clearly using my car much differently. I'm not sure we can draw any huge conclusions about the battery degradation from this one data point with exceptional usage pattern.

That's what I was thinking. There's calendar life as well as charge cycle degradation.

My battery is pushing 1.5 years old and 8,000 miles (low mileage daily driver) and I've seen all of 2 miles of degredation.

Calendar degredation only occurs under high SOC coupled with high temperature. My car sees neither of those, hence no caldendar degredation.

No, I stand by my statement that these results are amazing as many expected the battery would be down to 70% capacity after 120,000 miles. This data suggests that will be more like 300,000+ miles.