Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60kw vs. 85kw- Ok, you guys win

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I would post this as many people might be having the same dilemma as I did about how much battery capacity they need.

I ordered my MS and am expecting delivery mid May. I originally thought the 60kw would be sufficient. I'm a former Leaf owner and range anxiety was a constant companion. So I thought that 60kw was more than sufficient with a 200 mile rated range. I posted a request for opinions about capacity a couple of months ago and most people suggested the 85kw. I'm stubborn and stuck to my guns. BUT, I changed my mind and upgraded. Here is my rationale:

1. If you ordered the Supercharger and upgraded the 19" tires, the price difference is only $7,000.
2. While most of my driving is within 100 miles of home (Washington, DC area), I drive to New York, Southern VA and Pennsylvania several times a year. While many Superchargers are on the Interstates, you're stuck with Level 2 chargers at best once you get away from the urban areas. So a 30 minute charge can turn into a lot more.
3. If your destination is further off the beaten path and you do a lot of driving once you get there, the chances are you will be searching for a 120v outlet in a hotel garage. Having that extra capacity really comes in handy.

So you wise people helped me make a good decision. :smile: Thanks.

Darn. I guess telling you to get the 85kWh pack is pointless in this thread:smile: Sounds like you made a good decision especially with your trips and potential winter weather.

Congrats!

Last edited:
I ordered my MS and am expecting delivery mid May. I originally thought the 60kw would be sufficient. I'm a former Leaf owner and range anxiety was a constant companion. So I thought that 60kw was more than sufficient with a 200 mile rated range. I posted a request for opinions about capacity a couple of months ago and most people suggested the 85kw. I'm stubborn and stuck to my guns. BUT, I changed my mind and upgraded.

You will not regret getting the bigger pack. Even moderately spirited driving drops the range quite a bit, and you will always want to do a least a little of that. :)

Also, in 10 years, the 85 should still have more range than the 65 new.

If you're in an area with "real" winter, you'll really appreciate the 85 kWh pack. Pack heating gobbles power. It's not a big problem on long trips, but it has a large impact on short trips.
Nah. If you put it in range driving mode, it will only come on when it's ~0* F or lower, and only briefly.

Anyone know what the 60:85 ratio is? Please, no jokes about it being 12:17 :tongue: I know Tesla claimed only 4% wanted the 40... how many got the 60?
I read somewhere (yeah, great work, Dirk, way to give sources) that it was something insane like 10:1 for the 85.
For the record, I own a 60 and if I had to make the decision today I'd order an 85.
Yes, all my trips work with the 60 and I never go stranded. But I drove it below 10 about half a dozen time (including below 0 one time). So having an 85 would have made my life a lot less stressful :)

Well... That's the hope. We don't know that yet. Only time will tell. I am cautious based on my Leaf experience.

You cycled the LEAF battery much deeper than you will (at least initially) be cycling the Model S's battery. And that is true of the 85 vs 60 as well, you use a smaller percentage of capacity for the same trip. Smaller percentage discharge wears less than larger.

I also only drive 100 miles a day yet there was never a doubt to get the 85 battery. So many reasons why the 85 is the better choice. Longer range, less range anxiety, lasting longer (due to less stress on the battery), longer trips are possible, less dependent on chargers on the way, more power, higher resale value, more comfort (you can heat or AC the car as you like), ...

Nah. If you put it in range driving mode, it will only come on when it's ~0* F or lower, and only briefly.

Yes, but in my experience, range is still impacted severely especially on shorter trips. I've done a couple of longer trips (about 200 miles) at temps between 0 and 20 F and had overall efficiency numbers very close to what I get in summer. If I do a lot of short trips (my typical errands on weekends) my efficiency can be double or triple summer values - even with Range Mode on.

Also being in the DC metro area, I'll suggest that a good #4 is:

4. When you have a winter like we just had wherein your range can be reduced by 30% due to cold temps, you'll appreciate the extra capacity...