Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inspection in SE PA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know a good place in southeast Pennsylvania (Exton area) for state inspection for a new Model S? I just found out I have to handle registration, tags, sales tax payment and the initial state inspection, as PA doesn't allow Tesla to handle any of this.

Just take to your local mechanic where you take your ICE vehicles. Since the car is brand new they'll probably just put it on the lift, check the brake pads, tires, and lights (if that much). More than likely they'll just chat with you for 30 mins as you give them a tour of the car :smile:

BTW...you only need the safety sticker, not the emissions sticker (saves a few bucks). Also make sure you are familiar with how to put the car into jack mode when you bring it in.

Yes for my initial inspection, it was really just a walk around inspection, maybe testing the turn signals and brake lights. More of a tesla show-and-tell for the guys in the shop. My one-year inspection was much more thorough, up on the lift and the whole works. I think PA new car inspection has fewer requirements.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Anybody know a good place in southeast Pennsylvania (Exton area) for state inspection for a new Model S? I just found out I have to handle registration, tags, sales tax payment and the initial state inspection, as PA doesn't allow Tesla to handle any of this.

I'm near Philly and went through all this 6 weeks ago when I picked up my new car from Norristown. I found out my local AAA store could do the registration, taxes and tags, and it was painless. I then went to a nearby gas station that does inspections and they were great. Took 15 minutes since there was no emissions testing.

I use to live in PA and the State inspection is the biggest scam! Why does a brand new vehicle that just walked off the showroom lot need to be inspected, there's no way that it would have been allowed to be manufactured if it wasn't safe to federal and state standards nor if it didn't pass emissions. Crooks! Curious how many new cars didn't pass emissions and didn't pass the safety inspection.

Reactions: Relayer
Now you tell me!

I wish I had read this thread sooner. I just got a ticket for not having an inspection sticker on my Model S. I thought that since it was electric it didn't need one. I guess it does. Since I bought my car from the dealer and it already had 5,000 miles on it I kinda assumed that if it needed a sticker the dealership would have had one. So I scheduled a state inspection with my usual mechanic for Monday. Hopefully I don't get pulled over between now and then.

John.

PS Are the dealerships somehow exempt that they don't have to have inspection stickers? I've never bought a new car before so I have no experience with this.

Hi All,

Thought I would revive this post and see if anyone has a recommendation in SE PA. I have handled all the tags and registration just looking for some place to get the inspection. Would prefer to take it to someone who has at least seen a model S before. I'm in the Chadds Ford / West Chester area so if anyone has experience with a shop doing the inspections I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old thread, but speaking of safety inspections. I went to the AAA service center on Columbus Blvd. in South Philly to get my safety inspection yesterday. A worker came from the office and informed me that the manager said that they CAN'T inspect Teslas! They are an official PA inspection center. She could not offer a reason why they couldn't do my safety inspection, just that was what the manager told her. Never been turned away from other inspections stations in 4.5 years. So I went down the block to Pep Boys by I-95. They did my inspection right away with no problem.

Anybody else been turned away from a PA safety inspection at a state licensed AAA shop? Very odd.

Time to cancel my AAA. The last time I used it was a decade ago when I ran out of gas in my Blazer. Plus, Tesla roadside assistance puts AAA to shame. I had 3 flats in one month. Twice TRA brought me a loaner wheel and tire and had me rolling in ~60 minutes from the time I called. The other time they brought a loaner car on a flatbed, took my car, fixed the flat and brought my car back to my house early the next morning,

All AAA would be able to do is tow my car to a tire store, leaving me without a vehicle overnight, and it would probably take 3 hours to do that, on their best day!

I'm befuddled and pissed. I say F' AAA.

Reactions: madodel
report the shop to AAA management. I got mine done a couple of weeks ago at Willow Grove AAA. Couldn't have been nicer, no issue scheduling. Knew how to do it without lifting the car, done quickly. A PA Inspection station must inspect ANY car. It's the reason that Tesla is not a PA inspection station. They don't want to do emissions testing, nor deal with ICE cars.

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
report the shop to AAA management. I got mine done a couple of weeks ago at Willow Grove AAA. Couldn't have been nicer, no issue scheduling. Knew how to do it without lifting the car, done quickly.

Did they remove 1 or more wheels to check the brake pads and/or rotors or how did they measure those for the inspection?

They reach right through the alloy wheels they said. I don't know beyond that, I was busy talking to someone else when they did it this year.

Well I'm not sure how they can check the brake pad thickness that way as I thought they were supposed to enter that measurement for inspection. I prefer to take mine to a location that removes at least 1 if not 2 wheels (usually opposite corners).

report the shop to AAA management. I got mine done a couple of weeks ago at Willow Grove AAA. Couldn't have been nicer, no issue scheduling. Knew how to do it without lifting the car, done quickly. A PA Inspection station must inspect ANY car. It's the reason that Tesla is not a PA inspection station. They don't want to do emissions testing, nor deal with ICE cars.
(Emphasis added.) I know both of the highlighted sentences are true for VA as well.