Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Standard 85 be upgraded to P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it can. Originally they said no but now you could go from an S40 to a P85+. They've done all retrofits now but it's super duper expensive and much cheaper just to sell and buy new.
Good to know they'll do the upgrade!
Im looking at pre owned MS and found a standard Sig model s, and was just curious if I were to buy it would i be able to upgrade to a performance!

Thanks!

Good to know they'll do the upgrade!
Im looking at pre owned MS and found a standard Sig model s, and was just curious if I were to buy it would i be able to upgrade to a performance!

Thanks!

Well if it's a sig I don't know. Sigs used older prototype hardware that are limited in different ways. I wouldn't be surprised if a sig is NOT upgradable to a performance model.

Personally, I would never buy a sig for numerous reasons.

That's for the P85+ not the P85, right? That includes all 4 21" rims even if you already 21" rims.

No. That's just for the performance inverter upgrade. The retrofit from P85 -> P85+ is another 23k. So if you want to go from S85 -> P85+ it's probably going to be around $40k. Tesla seems to charge somewhere along the lines of 2x-4x of the originally order price for retrofits. It's absurd really. For that price it's much better to sell and purchase a new car and I think that's part of their strategy for their pricing (they don't want to do the retrofits).

its 20k just for the upgrade to the drive unit, and includes the credit you will receive for your old drive unit. It does not include wheels, seats, etc.

I requested a quote so that's why I know.

Thanks. Tough to keep track off all the various upgrades and variations there are sometimes. If that old P85 to new P85 for $5,000 ever becomes official that seems like the best option. If I had an S85 if probably wait until there was some other tangible upgrade to make jump to P85 such as larger pack or AWD.