Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Columbus, Ohio to Smoky Mountains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on taking a trip to the Smoky mountains in June. I am trying to figure out if I can take the MS85.
I looked on plugshare and there seems to be plenty of charging stations.
I was hoping to get information from some of the member's experience who may have done a similar route.
Also concerned about the terrain that may cause reduction in range.

I am planning on taking a trip to the Smoky mountains in June. I am trying to figure out if I can take the MS85.
I looked on plugshare and there seems to be plenty of charging stations.
I was hoping to get information from some of the member's experience who may have done a similar route.
Also concerned about the terrain that may cause reduction in range.

Though I drove through the Smokeys last week I came from the east so don't have specific advice on your route but can give some general advice. In addition to looking for 30A chargers on Plugshare, try looking for campgrounds with 50A service. This will get you back on the road faster. Call ahead to ensure that they will allow you to charge, particularly during the busy summer season. Have a backup plan in case something falls through. And bring your patience. Stopping every 180 miles to charge for 8-10 hours is not for those in a hurry.

Others who have done the trip might be able to recommend places to stop. In addition, if you have dual chargers, there may be folks with an HPWC who might lend it out to you for a faster charge.