Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Driver Interaction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I looked for an apropos existing subject for this, but didn't see any threads where it would hijack a specific subject (such as the currently-running "vandalized" thread)...

The vast majority of time when other drivers on the road seem to recognize or acknowledge the S, it's either positive (thimbs up, smile/wave, etc...) or neutral (taking pics of it, people pointing to it as they talk among themselves...).

So far any negative experiences I've had while driving it simply seemed worthy of chalking up to the fact that there are idiots on the road, and nothing Tesla-specific. Today was the first day I experienced otherwise...

On my morning commute there are approach lanes to the highway where two lanes merge down to one prior too the onramp. I was ahead of a "gentleman" in an F-150 by about 3-4 car lengths. I wasn't going above the flow of traffic speed, and as a matter of fact there was another car about 3-lengths in front of me that I was merging behind.

With only a short distance to go before the lanes finally merged, he gunned it, sped in front, cutting me off with a pretty major swerve in to what (would have been) my space in the now-single lane behind the car in front.

I had not cut him off earlier (we had always been in separate lanes since the previous light). He was not getting any farther ahead, as it was a clover-leaf and there was a string of cars in front of us only doing 35-40 on the ramp anyway. He just didn't want me in front of him.

As he cut it close, I tapped my horn(half-second at most) and when I saw him make eye contact in the mirror I put my hands up on either side of my head in my preferred "What was that??" gesture.

Here's where it was evident that it was specific: He looked right back at me, raised his hand, and rubbed his fingers together in the classic "$money$" gesture. He cut me off because of the perceived cost of what i was driving.

I'm not surprised, people are full of petty prejudices. But it was the first time for me it was so clearly indicated since owning the Tesla...

I will fully admit that, once on the highway, it was demonstrated for him that he wouldn't be able to keep up. I also didn't go out of my way to alter my speed/position when he hoped to pass me to get around a bus...

It's funny because I had a similar experience with an F-150 too (or one of these huge Ford trucks). That was 3 days ago on a the highway. His front bumper was almost kissing my rear bumper... He was flashing the lights while the left lane was really busy (his car was obviously higher so he could see the traffic in front of me). This is really unusual here in Ottawa. I turned the left signal because I really couldn't go anywhere unless I seriously slow down and take the middle lane. Of course he couldn't take it and went to the right lane and passed me and merged to the left lane in front of me where I had to press the brakes really hard to avoid what could be an accident. What's wrong with some people!

I chalk it up to some people being ***holes. Everyone has their own set of prejudices, I just hope I don't let them control my actions so strongly.
Folks camped in the left lane when they're able to get over (not calling you out here @iKhalid) is one of those things that annoy me. Not enough to cut someone off, though.

With only a short distance to go before the lanes finally merged, he gunned it, sped in front, cutting me off with a pretty major swerve in to what (would have been) my space in the now-single lane behind the car in front.

Huh. I just call that "Toronto driving". I always try to let traffic merge by "taking turns" when lanes merge, but it seems to be some sort of game around here to do whatever it takes to prevent anyone from getting in front of you no matter what the reason.

Could it be that what you saw as a "classic $money$" gesture was really a "world's smallest violin" demonstration? That would be somewhat rude and potentially applicable to his apparent mood, but not necessarily Tesla related. Then, you could chalk it up to general pissiness and not feel singled out for your choice of the world's finest vehicle.

Just a thought.

He was flashing the lights while the left lane was really busy (his car was obviously higher so he could see the traffic in front of me). This is really unusual here in Ottawa.

Very common in my part of Ontario. People here seem to think the left lane is the "unlimited speed limit" lane and unless you're driving right on the bumper of the guy in front, you'll garner the wrath of anyone following. I don't bother with the HOV lanes for this very reason. If I'm not driving as fast as possible in the HOV lane, I'll have cars tailgating, flashing lights, gesturing etc., even if I am at or above the posted limit. (People seem to read the signs that say MAXIMUM 100 km/h as if they mean MINIMUM 100 km/h)

I've had plenty of pictures taken and quite a few thumbs-up, but can't recall a negative interaction with a driver that I thought was Tesla-related. If people know what it is, most appreciate it. If they don't know Tesla, they're often curious. Most people just aren't into cars like the folks on this forum.

mod note: Post and reply that quoted it moved to Politics thread
Politics - Quarantine Thread - Page 21

There is a way to get the point across without the likelihood of offending people.
Dang - I should have edited what I quoted so my response could have stayed here...
So I'll try again, this time quoting the moderator who moved the last one; I don't think anything that I wrote was offensive...

I too have had a couple of very negative reactions from drivers of large pickups. Including getting shown "the finger", being cut off, tail-gated with high beams on... and all this in hyper-polite Portland... strange.

I've had a complete opposite response -- moments after picking up my car for the first time in Bellevue, got a huge extended arm out the window thumbs up from an F150 driver. Only negatives I've ever gotten have been from folks assuming my "status" due to their perceived cost of the car and my age (34). Takes a moment of explaining that I have a modest, stripped down version of the car (78k) and that I play music for a living and that I'm good at saving. THEN I go on to explain all the virtues of the vehicle/company/vision which people always seem interested in hearing.

Dang - I should have edited what I quoted so my response could have stayed here...
So I'll try again, this time quoting the moderator who moved the last one; I don't think anything that I wrote was offensive...

I too have had a couple of very negative reactions from drivers of large pickups. Including getting shown "the finger", being cut off, tail-gated with high beams on... and all this in hyper-polite Portland... strange.

Everything you wrote was fine. Sorry about moving your post too it just got swept up with it. Glad you reported it.

Hyper-polite towns like Portland and Seattle suffer from hyper-passive aggressive behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's where it was evident that it was specific: He looked right back at me, raised his hand, and rubbed his fingers together in the classic "$money$" gesture. He cut me off because of the perceived cost of what i was driving.

Yup, definitely a hate crime.

People who don't have a need but drive such large vehicles typically have an inferiority complex of some sort. If it's a man driving, you probably can guess from where that inferiority stems. People who resent the success of others and resort to petty displays of envy, jealousy and retribution are ultimately only acting out of a deep sense of self hatred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a complete opposite response -- moments after picking up my car for the first time in Bellevue, got a huge extended arm out the window thumbs up from an F150 driver. Only negatives I've ever gotten have been from folks assuming my "status" due to their perceived cost of the car and my age (34). Takes a moment of explaining that I have a modest, stripped down version of the car (78k) and that I play music for a living and that I'm good at saving. THEN I go on to explain all the virtues of the vehicle/company/vision which people always seem interested in hearing.

Ugh this is what I'm afraid of (30 and female here). The whole status thing irks me and I already got a taste of it when I was getting the my nema 14-50 installed. One of the electricians who came out for a quote assumed that the car was my husband's or that he bought it for me and that I was a stay at home bon-bon eater or something. He was nice about it but kind of old fashioned.

Watch some redneck get karmic retribution for his road rage...

Although I chuckled as I am sure others did too, I still think driving in the "fast"/left lane when there is no one in the right lane is very poor driving technique. In the video it looked as though there were several opportunities to move right and let him pass. Many states require this and passing on the right is also illegal in many states/municipalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I propose we Tesla drivers all get a set of these to ward off the bad spirits:

hotrodballs1.jpg