Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model E, or 5yr old model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting speculation here, and the answer will be different for different people. Assuming that the model S depreciates at the same rate as the Mercedes S class, something Elon has promised, the new E will cost about the same as a 5 year old S. Coincidently, when the E is scheduled to launch the first bunch of S cars will be about that age. So which would you pick? (Obviously nobody is holding you to it, there simply isn't enough known about the E yet, but I'm curious to see the speculation and reasons)

Some interesting speculation here, and the answer will be different for different people. Assuming that the model S depreciates at the same rate as the Mercedes S class, something Elon has promised, the new E will cost about the same as a 5 year old S. Coincidently, when the E is scheduled to launch the first bunch of S cars will be about that age. So which would you pick? (Obviously nobody is holding you to it, there simply isn't enough known about the E yet, but I'm curious to see the speculation and reasons)
I really doubt that a 5 year old Model S that is not completely thrashed is going to be that cheap. Getting a Model S for under $50k is going to be difficult for quite some time.

I really doubt that a 5 year old Model S that is not completely thrashed is going to be that cheap. Getting a Model S for under $50k is going to be difficult for quite some time.

By 5 years time I'd expect to see a significant decline in early Model S prices due to a combination of:
- Cheaper, mid-sized Model E available
- Buybacks
- Improved interior
- Autopilot
- Battery enhancements

Tesla should consider it R&D failure if the older Model S holds its value.

Good point. I would still think the cars with the extended warranty would hold some decent value if they were in good shape. Especially if Tesla has some sort of battery replacement option then. Buy an old 60kWh and get the new 90kWh pack upgrade for example.

I would think an old Model S would be a fantastic car to give to a new driver assuming teenager mode had been enabled in software by then to limit the fun. Range wouldn't really matter so even if it was down 15% would still be enough to get someone around town and a very safe car.

I would think an old Model S would be a fantastic car to give to a new driver assuming teenager mode had been enabled in software by then to limit the fun. Range wouldn't really matter so even if it was down 15% would still be enough to get someone around town and a very safe car.

Oy, you read my mind. My son will get my MS when he turns 16 (9 years from now). The size and power are a bit of a concern though particularly for inexperienced teenage drivers. Maybe, a Leaf is what mom would pick ;)

As for the original question, assuming the E will be a true "3-series killer", I'd take it new over a 5-yo MS. These cars are computers on wheels after all and almost the same criteria that one'd use when picking a computer should apply.

Yep, E, without question. Tech will be substantially better and I wanted a smaller car than the S anyway. I won't be getting rid of the S, but we'll probably be replacing my wife's ICE with the E. Well, maybe I'll trade mine in too, we'll see. If it's basically a straight across swap at that point, I might. However, I suspect a fully decked out Performance E will run $80k and my decked out S might be worth 40-50k by then at best.

I would go for the E based on size. The S would be a beast to park in my parking structure at work. It would also be nice to have the full warranty and a car with the options I want. I generally drive my cars until completely dead, so it's nice to get them just the way I like them (especially since I drive about 40000 miles/year!).

As someone who doesn't have an EV yet, but will with my next car, I will take either one. The range is so big that even with degradation on the battery, a 5-10 year old Model S would work perfect for me since I have a long commute to work. I won't care about a few scratches or dings, I just want to get off fossil fuels. So when the time comes, whoever needs to get rid of their Model S because they want the latest thing, let me know. :) hahaha.

Both. Keeping the S and will be replacing our Jetta TDI with Model E. When the S turns 9 it's going to be passed down to my daughter as her first car! :smile:

If the range on the E turns out to be the same, or more than the MS I would consider trading the S for the new E. I'm astounded by the MS and love it as no other car ever. However, I drive like an old man and don't really need the speed and handling, nor am I really a luxury car type. I DO want the range. If Tesla remains the amazing company that it is now, whatever they offer is in play for me for the rest of my life.

Hard to say. The warranty is the only fact right now. As you move down in price other, non full EV options start to be competition as well ( just speaking real world,not limited to the actual question)

I would have to say an MS for now as I need the room. And if it continues with out major issues a " tried and true" platform.