Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door not closed completely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed yesterday that my charge port door is sticking out about a quarter inch after closing. It used to close flush to the car. Has anybody else had this happen? Was it an easy fix? It really looks tacky this way. Sorry for poor image quality.
port3.jpg

Just so there's no confusion - God I love this car!

Last edited:
My bet would be that the foam adhesive pad that mounts the magnet on the door is starting to fail. Either the adhesive is starting to give, or the foam pad itself is starting to separate.

It happened to me and the door would simply swing open, with the magnet still latched to the car. I reglue dit as a temp fix and found that the foam itself was starting to pull apart and I was getting the door sticking out a bit as well. The service center replaced it all for me.

Update! The magnet that is glued to the back of the charge port door has come completely unglued now. This is how it looks driving down the road now. Not such a good advertisement for Tesla motors, unfortunately. When they get my shield parts to install they can fix this at the same time, but until then its going to be fun manually pulling the magnet off so I can charge, then putting it back after I disconnect. Yuk!
teslachargedoor.jpg

It's a really quick fix, Tesla just replaces the Chargeport door (happened to me recently). I wouldn't drive around like that though (what if it rains?) and it's easy enough just to stick that magnet back in the door temporarily.

Is it something a "ranger" could fix? I bought the "unlimited ranger" visits service plan. Maybe they'll send somebody to me to fix it?!