Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dash Cams For Your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lx3h

Charged.hk's Director of Education
After watching this video,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=724899497531333

I think I really want a dash cam.

Tested.com has its recommendation, http://www.tested.com/tech/456565-best-dash-cam-your-car-costs-60/

but are there better(-looking) / cheaper ones in Hong Kong?

Please let me know if you know.

List of Model S Owners Dashcams:

I want to compile a list of dash cams currently used by Model S owners. Has to be Model S specific because of the length of the cord. Please supply your dash cam with price, features, etc. if possible.

capt666 -- Mio MiVue 568 -- $1,550 -- no SD card
Alipapa -- Garmin -- $???? -- ????
luckylao -- Blackvue 650 -- ??? -- long cable, WiFi, acceptable image, echo when mic is on

Last edited:
After watching this video,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=724899497531333

I think I really want a dash cam.

Tested.com has its recommendation, http://www.tested.com/tech/456565-best-dash-cam-your-car-costs-60/

but are there better(-looking) / cheaper ones in Hong Kong?

Please let me know if you know.

Funny you write this, I was looking at one a few days ago (of all places, in Golden Computer Arcade). Unfortunately, many of these requires Windows to extract the data. I need one I can read from a Mac, and I am even considering to have more than one camera (at least front and back), and a sufficiently wide angle and good resolution. The one I saw was 120 degrees wide.

Another point is how to get power to the camera. I don't want to turn it on and off manually, I want it to power up and run, any timer the car is powered. Possibly also recording - if possible - if the car is moved, i.e. another car crashes into it while parked.

• Helpful
Reactions: !S4
Funny you write this, I was looking at one a few days ago (of all places, in Golden Computer Arcade). Unfortunately, many of these requires Windows to extract the data. I need one I can read from a Mac, and I am even considering to have more than one camera (at least front and back), and a sufficiently wide angle and good resolution. The one I saw was 120 degrees wide.

Another point is how to get power to the camera. I don't want to turn it on and off manually, I want it to power up and run, any timer the car is powered. Possibly also recording - if possible - if the car is moved, i.e. another car crashes into it while parked.

Excellent, that's why I want to start a new thread for this. I have no idea how the dash cams get their power from. We all know Model S comes with USB, but is it the only place we get power from for the cam?

Because of GasDoc's experience/expertise, I was convinced to get the Blackvue DR550 dual camera system. Needs a bit of care to install. Blackvue has a fully featured application for Windows and Mac to view/save/analyze the videos (including GPS location and mapping). Also there are smartphone apps (Android & iOS) which work great with the camera. If you don't have always-on 12V in your headliner, there are other ways to grab 12V (search these forums).

Note that Blackvue now has a model 530 dual cam WITHOUT GPS and with a slightly lower resolution for a lower price.

Because of GasDoc's experience/expertise, I was convinced to get the Blackvue DR550 dual camera system. Needs a bit of care to install. Blackvue has a fully featured application for Windows and Mac to view/save/analyze the videos (including GPS location and mapping). Also there are smartphone apps (Android & iOS) which work great with the camera. If you don't have always-on 12V in your headliner, there are other ways to grab 12V (search these forums).

Note that Blackvue now has a model 530 dual cam WITHOUT GPS and with a slightly lower resolution for a lower price.

Thank you for the update. I went about half way though the Dashcam install thread, and learned as much as a cable has now been removed from later models, and one has to dig down into the A frame to find 12V.

I wish Tesla would put that 12V supply back again, that would make life much easier regarding dash cams (or speed trap warners, or whatever people like to install). Fine if they don't want to offer it as Tesla original install, but leave us the 12V.

Working with a Mac, and even iOS devices is a plus in my book, I would consider that Blackvue DR550. Howzit work at low light? Even with dual cams, I would consider more than one camera. Could even be two cams at the front, each looking a bit to the side. Maybe I'm going overboard, but what's the use if you are rammed from the side, or from the rear?

- - - Updated - - -

Dash cam comparison here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/

They are not that excited about most models, including the Blackvue DR550 ...

I'd rather have two good single channel models, than one bad dual channel.

Install just cost 100. 10 min work. No big deal.

It all depends on how hard it is to find a 12V connection point - and whether you want an always-on or power-up only 12V DC.

Some will have the camera active 24/7, so they can see what happened if someone hit them while they were parked. This means you better not leave your car somewhere for too many days, if not plugged in, or you'll have a dead 12V battery.

If I just had the 12V wires ready from the car, it would be easy to install by yourself, but on the newer model S versions it seems you have to dig down quite far away from where the mirror is to find a place to connect.

It all depends on how hard it is to find a 12V connection point - and whether you want an always-on or power-up only 12V DC.

Some will have the camera active 24/7, so they can see what happened if someone hit them while they were parked. This means you better not leave your car somewhere for too many days, if not plugged in, or you'll have a dead 12V battery.

If I just had the 12V wires ready from the car, it would be easy to install by yourself, but on the newer model S versions it seems you have to dig down quite far away from where the mirror is to find a place to connect.

It's not that hard -- I connected mine to the OBDII port and ran the wire up around the A pillar. No splicing and 100% reversible.

The market really seems to be taking off. Now that Garmin and other bigger companies are getting into this market hopefully the quality, support and software will get better too. It really shouldn't be too hard for someone to design something really good.

The market really seems to be taking off. Now that Garmin and other bigger companies are getting into this market hopefully the quality, support and software will get better too. It really shouldn't be too hard for someone to design something really good.

Totally agree! I'm tired of really poorly translated product manuals and strange menu structures that are also poorly translated.. as well as really odd codecs in order to just view the video files from these devices. There are a lot of good products out there, but it is time for dashcams to go mainstream like Garmin and HP jumping into the ring.. better firmware, support. menus, codecs, etc.