Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC Auto Dealers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another example of why auto dealers are no longer needed, and the Tesla sales model is the way to go:

B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblower - British Columbia - CBC News

A whistleblower in the auto sales industry says car dealers may be violating customers' privacy rights when they take a test drive.Kurtis Lemon says he quit his job as a salesman at Dueck GM’s Marine Drive location in Vancouver because he wasn't comfortable following a new procedure to scan customers’ licences.
The 27-year-old says car dealers are collecting customers’ information, including their addresses and birthdates under the guise of needing it for a test drive, when what they are really doing is building a database for marketing purposes.

Yet another example of why auto dealers are no longer needed, and the Tesla sales model is the way to go:

B.C. car dealers may be violating drivers' privacy, claims whistleblower - British Columbia - CBC News

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't know if they're still doing it, but I had to fill out a detailed form that included my driver's license information and sign it before Tesla would let me get behind the wheel for a test drive. Did this both in Toronto and Newport beach when taking test drives.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but I had to fill out a detailed form that included my driver's license information and sign it before Tesla would let me get behind the wheel for a test drive. Did this both in Toronto and Newport beach when taking test drives.
Name, address, DL#? Personally I think that's reasonable to ensure finding the driver in case of accident etc, and as the report said to ensure its a valid license. Not sure what more they could get from a photocopy of the real thing. My eye colour I guess. I'm not as threatened by dealers, or companies, having a 'database' of my common public information (+ DL in this case) as the news report seems to imply. Especially since I won't be using any more dealers for test drives ever again! :tongue:

I really respect BC's Privacy Commissioner and I'm glad she continues to be a thorn in the side. And I think this was a good issue to bring up to try to get people to think about what the DL photocopy or scan use case is.

For my (Vancouver) test drives, they just verified my DL and asked if I wanted to give email address for "future correspondence".

From my POV, the article is about;

a) taking a copy of the DL and mis-representing their reasons for doing so, and

b) submitting the info to a national marketing database and retaining indefinitely, whilst claiming "info will be destroyed in 30 days".

That's both illegal and fraudulent.