Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer selling NEMA 6-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am about to order my Tesla S85. I have a NEMA 6-50 plug in my garage on a 50 Amp breaker. I noticed that the 6-50 adapter is no longer for sale at the Telsa site. I emailed them and learned that it will no longer be offered for sale. I called the Tesla service center near me and they are trying to find me one, so I may get lucky. Turns out Tesla corporate called them all back from the stores. No issues just want them for warranty. I know the HPWC is an option but I do not need one, plus I would not be taking advantage of the high current charge. Seems like an unneeded expense. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thats really interesting. I took delivery yesterday and drove to the Natick, MA store for a charge and a bite. They have 2 HPWC (were in use) and 3 unused NEMA 6-50. The store people admitted it was odd they have outlets with no adapters and had none to sell, they suggested I go online. I did and it was "out of stock". I emailed them and they said they were putting me on a waiting list. Sounds like I may be waiting forever. Meanwhile the closest charge to my office (walking distance) is that store and I can't get an adapter for it. What the heck Tesla?

My guess is the 6-50 would need the same thermal fuse as the 14-50, and 6-50s are so much less common that it wasn't worthwhile for Tesla to create new ones. As you already have a 50A breaker and a 6-50 outlet, can you just rewire it for a 14-50 outlet?

EVSEAdapters.com doesn't sell a 6-50 to 15-50 adapter. You can, of course, make your own. Go to Home Depot or where ever and buy a 6-50 plug (they are often sold as universal plugs compatible with 30A connections too), some 6 gauge SOOW cable, and a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. Like this one: Amazon.com: Camco 55353 50 AMP Female Replacement Receptacle: Automotive

Still, it sucks having to do this.

I gotta say, Tesla is doing some really weird things, not just in the US, but everywhere about charging. Are the lawyers taking over, or is Tesla realizing their UMC design is flawed?

As has been stated, they'd have to make new ones with the thermal fuse, and they probably sell very few of them, so the tooling cost will be high. One idea is put a "WTB" add in the forum under Tesla parts for sale, many people who ordered the HPWC temporarily wired 6-50's on the 100A wire. (With a 50A breaker), until the High Power Wall Charger shipped, then the outlet was removed, breaker changed to 100A and the HPWC installed.. So there are several out their in the wild, see if anyone wants to part with theirs.

So I am about to order my Tesla S85. I have a NEMA 6-50 plug in my garage on a 50 Amp breaker. I noticed that the 6-50 adapter is no longer for sale at the Telsa site. I emailed them and learned that it will no longer be offered for sale. I called the Tesla service center near me and they are trying to find me one, so I may get lucky. Turns out Tesla corporate called them all back from the stores. No issues just want them for warranty. I know the HPWC is an option but I do not need one, plus I would not be taking advantage of the high current charge. Seems like an unneeded expense. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I believe I ordered one as a 'just in case' when I got my car. Let me double check. Since I don't think I will ever use it, I'm willing to part with it.

My guess is the 6-50 would need the same thermal fuse as the 14-50, and 6-50s are so much less common that it wasn't worthwhile for Tesla to create new ones. As you already have a 50A breaker and a 6-50 outlet, can you just rewire it for a 14-50 outlet?

I was told that replacements for the 6-50 adapters with thermal fuses would be sent out later, once they are caught up with the 14-50's