Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen and rear end collisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with my Xpel guy today and he said that he has seen at least 5 rear end collisions on the Model S with people using maximum regen. Does anyone know if this is common?

Of the couple of dozen Minnesota Tesla club group I have heard of zero.
Regen turns brake lights on when it deaccelerates beyond a certain (government mandated) level.

Do different than a stick shift using engine braking, although I am not sure if manuals turn on the brake lights.

I've tested this out and the brake lights turn on when using regen, even at low levels at slow speeds. So, doubt this is a real issue.

In "L" gear in my Chevy Volt the brake lights do not come on under full regen, however, nor do they in any manual transmission ICE car I've ever driven (quite a few) during downshifts... so, I think this is a Tesla specific safety feature that I appreciate.

No manual I drove ever turned on the brake lights, and the only time I got rear-ended was when I was stopped at a railroad crossing, and the brake lights would have been on. The train signal lights were on as well.

Has nothing to do with regen. I speculate that Folks are ghosting the car to look at the awesome NAV screen. And then the TESLA drivers are hitting the vastly superior brakes which leaves the tail gater in a bind. REGEN auto activates the brake lights at certain KW thresholds( I have heard 15kw) Suspect this is bs. None that I have heard of in mid Atlantic have been rear ended.

BS in my book.

If anything it's due to people getting too close to see what kind of car it is.

Agree it's total BS.

However people tailgating trying to figure out what kind of car it is IS an issue. The TESLA logo on the back is pretty subtle and hard to read.

I thought maybe the N TESLA license plate would help, but they don't connect it with the car make. Eventually Tesla gave me a silver license plate frame with a black TESLA logo on it, and that seems to have done the trick. Probably helps having the plate and the frame saying the same thing. Anyway, I find I'm getting tailgated a lot less since getting the license plate frame. Yes, I'm completely serious - it definitely helped a LOT.