Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalized twice - Bigotry is alive and well on San Francisco Peninsula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to make such a negative post, but frankly I need to vent. My Model S has been vandalized twice now. My tire was slashed in Mountain View, just off El Camino and Castro, and on St. Patrick's day, the whole driver side of the car was keyed on Lytton Ave. in Palo Alto, right next to the B of A.

I didn't do a thing to anyone. Just parked my car in normal spaces, with plenty of room around it, and when I returned, some bitter person had taken their grief out on me.

It really didn't make me angry, just sad that people will do such things to strangers for reasons emanating from their own minds.

Has anyone else had a problem?

BTW, if anyone needs body work, there is only one place to go around here: Chilton Autobody in San Carlos. Phenomenal service. Absolutely exemplary.

So sorry to hear about this. I'm on the Peninsula also and haven't had any issues. This is so disturbing to hear about.

The only think that's happened to me is that someone kissed my rear bumper parking in SF and left two small marks from their license plate mounting screws.

I have been worried about these types of incidents since day one. I finished my front and rear dash-cam install the other day, motion or bump activated while parked, constant while driving. I also plan on installing a second set facing out to both sides of the car.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKA04HY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BlackVue Wi-Fi 2 Channel DR550GW-2CH

They're not overly expensive, so I bought two and two 64GB microSDs. Bit of a pain to install yourself, but not too bad if you can stomach ripping panels off of your Model S.

Well worth it IMO, especially if it helps out in any future legal battle.

-wk

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm also in Los Altos and this is our backyard so to speak. I'd like to think people are better than this. Check nearby surveillance cameras; maybe someone saw something. Good luck catching the bastards.

I'm really sad and angry to read this, especially as my Model S has been in the exact same places as the OPs on many occasions. There are so many MS on the SF Peninsula now, it is surprising that a Model S was singled out, but who knows what craziness possessed this criminal to do such a cowardly act.

Feel bad for you, Nikola. Very surprising given the locations that you mentioned. This has been my fear too and unfortunately, not much can be done about it. I've experienced this personally with lesser cars (a new Passat was keyed pretty bad several years ago in Berkeley).

Sorry to hear that. You're a bigger man than I am if it didn't make you angry. I'd want to strangle the bastard. I wonder if it's this type of anger, given the nature of the car?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/10/us-google-protest-idUSBRE9B818J20131210

It sure feels like it's that kind of attitude up in SF, but who knows, could have been anyone. I'd be guilty of classifying people myself if I blamed it on some arbitrary group. As a matter of fact, very surprisingly, I've felt some disdain from both sides of the political spectrum. Don't get me wrong, I've had many many positive responses and interactions with people worthy of the Great Tesla Stories thread, but I've also had some negative ones. Interestingly, on the left side, it has been folks giving me the one percenter thing, like I'm a bad guy who must have stoled from the poor to buy it, and on the right side, it's people who somehow feel threatened by the whole thing, like we're going to outlaw their ICE cars or something.

Oh well, there's always going to be a bell curve right?

@ wk507
How did you end up powering the cameras for when the car is parked? I have heard the 12v and USB are not powered when the car is off.

You can buy the power magic pro with the blackvue dash cams. I use this in my car and it works great for the dual camera system. You have to do a little work and attach it to both constant power and switched power from your fuse box, but not hard at all.
BlackVue - Full HD 1080p Dash Cameras with GPS

Yikes, that sucks! I am 4 weeks away from taking delivery at the Fremont factory, and the vehicle will be in Los Altos & vicinity most of the time...
While I had quite a few hit-and-run fender benders over the years, I never had any issues with this kind of vandalism thus far. Fingers crossed.

I have been worried about these types of incidents since day one. I finished my front and rear dash-cam install the other day, motion or bump activated while parked, constant while driving. I also plan on installing a second set facing out to both sides of the car.

OT, but can you please let me know how you found 12 Volt power to run the rear facing camera? I have the front dash cam installed, but haven't found a simple way to power a rear facing one.