Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Electricity in HK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This image does not seem correct from the CLP website on first glance.
image.jpg

My rough calculation, from 3 years driving a Roadster, is about 1/4 the fuel cost of the Prius it replaced. Half of that is EV efficiencies, and the other half is 0% tax on electricity and 100% tax on petrol. That was based on what was taken from the wall, including some free public charging, as well as charging (cooling) losses.

You expect a 40% wastage?
Honestly, even at 100% wastage, it will still be a bargain!

Does any one know? Will Tesla answer that? HK Electric current tariff is HK$0.602 per kWh therefore to fill 85kWh it'll cost me $52. I don't know about wastage and I have heard that last few % of battery pack is hard to fill. Unless someone has a private meter and read kWh off after a charge I think this is still mystery.

So I've been asked a few times by friends and family and finally decided to calc it. The cost I get is approximately HK$100 to run 284KM. Which is close to what Lext had before on HK$120 to fill a the 85 battery (the 85 battery at 90% charge gives me 344 KM average range).

So I've been asked a few times by friends and family and finally decided to calc it. The cost I get is approximately HK$100 to run 284KM. Which is close to what Lext had before on HK$120 to fill a the 85 battery (the 85 battery at 90% charge gives me 344 KM average range).

So $120/344 = $0.35/k, doesn't matter as long as it's zero emission. I would certainly do a long term tracking of the actual cost per km when I have my Tesla. I presume Tesla's supercharging station is free in Hong Kong?