Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla" or "TSMR" for the "Make"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when I applied for insurance, with MetLife, I gave them my VIN and told them the "Make" and "Model" is a Tesla Model S ... I just got a letter from them saying I gave them "incorrect information", and was threatened with cancellation if I don't respond with the correct info within 30 days ... I discovered on both my title and my registration that the "Make" is listed as "TSMR", so I called MetLife to tell them that, they made that change in their computer, and the problem was solved ... I've never seen any reference to TSMR before, and don't even know what it's an abbreviation for, so I have 2 questions: 1) has anyone else had this problem with other insurance companies? ... and 2) do other states/countries use this same abbreviation? (I'm in California)

I have TSMR too on the registration doc from the CA DMV. Didn't have problems getting insurance from Liberty Mutual. However, just a couple of days ago, tried to get a quote online from AAA; they don't have Tesla in the Make dropdown and rejected my VIN as an "unknown" one - asked me to call in instead which I haven't bothered to.

I don't have a Model S yet. Been wanting one for over three years - but it looks like I'll be able to buy one late this year. :)

I'm pretty sure this is a state or federal code, though. Just checked a Model S registered here, make and model is listed as: "TESLA MOTORS MODEL S" (All that kind of information is public here.)

... I just got a letter from them saying I gave them "incorrect information", and was threatened with cancellation if I don't respond with the correct info within 30 days ...

If I got such a letter I would be very tempted to take them up on their offer and cancel the insurance myself, and then move to a more accommodating company -- there seems to be plenty of competition. You are very magnanimous! If you are tempted in the future, I highly recommend Costco/Ameriprise (at least here in CA). By far the best deal when I was shopping around. Consumer Reports recommend shopping around once a year too...

when I applied for insurance, with MetLife, I gave them my VIN and told them the "Make" and "Model" is a Tesla Model S ... I just got a letter from them saying I gave them "incorrect information", and was threatened with cancellation

I hope they gave you a great deal, because I'd be inclined to drop them for that level of pedantic asshattery.

Doesn't give me confidence that their staff know what they're doing.

Reactions: rudholm
“TSMR” is the abbreviation because Teslas come directly from the manufacturer, not a dealer. It breaks down like this: TS for Tesla and MR for manufacturer. The “MR” indicates the vehicle came directly from a manufacturer.
This was in a very old (circa 2010-2013) Vehicle Industry News Memo issued by DMV. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble locating that memo on DMV’s website. Probably due to its age as the memos online only go back to 2017.

when I applied for insurance, with MetLife, I gave them my VIN and told them the "Make" and "Model" is a Tesla Model S ... I just got a letter from them saying I gave them "incorrect information", and was threatened with cancellation if I don't respond with the correct info within 30 days ... I discovered on both my title and my registration that the "Make" is listed as "TSMR", so I called MetLife to tell them that, they made that change in their computer, and the problem was solved ... I've never seen any reference to TSMR before, and don't even know what it's an abbreviation for, so I have 2 questions: 1) has anyone else had this problem with other insurance companies? ... and 2) do other states/countries use this same abbreviation? (I'm in California)
“TSMR” is the abbreviation because Teslas come directly from the manufacturer, not a dealer. It breaks down like this: TS for Tesla and MR for manufacturer. The “MR” indicates the vehicle came directly from a manufacturer.
This was in a very old (circa 2010-2013) Vehicle Industry News Memo issued by DMV. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble locating that memo on DMV’s website. Probably due to its age as the memos online only go back to 2017.