Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof in AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking to order and hesitant on the Pano roof n AZ. Is it too hot? I find the tinted sunroof on my Infinity lets in too much heat. What's the Tesla roof like?

thanks
steve
I can't speak for AZ but I had the pano roof in south Texas for two summers without any issue. You don't really notice it. Some here have gone ahead and added more tint to it but it already does a good job of blocking heat and light. Of course a pano roof will allow more heat in than solid roof but any car in 100 degree heat will get so hot that without precooling car with your mobile phone it wouldn't matter much.

Don't worry about the pano roof... But do consider getting your windows tinted with a good tint that blocks UV.

I took delivery on June 4 last year, so went through a full AZ summer. The pano roof has good UV protection in it -- I never felt the top of my head get warm. Holding my hand close to the glass, I could feel a little heat, but not much.

On the other hand, I had the windows tinted with 3M Crystaline about 4 days after delivery. The first few days, I could feel heat from the side window. After getting them tinted, that went away too...

We, too, were concerned about the heat that might be passed into the cabin via the pano roof. Tesla did an amazing job of engineering to develop a roof that remains cool to the touch and cool immediately below the glass. I'd suggest that you buy the damned roof . . . and agree with ZBB that window tinting in the desert is a must.

We're glad to have the pano roof--heat not an issue. And window tint, as suggested is a must. Interestingly, had the windshield tinted as well (some question as to legality). Then got a stone and had to replace it. Haven't had the new windshield tinted as yet--and really am noticing the difference.

You're going to be using the a/c no matter what. There are plenty of S owners in AZ with pano roofs and I have yet to hear one say they're sorry they bought it. Go with what pleases you...you're likely going to have the car for a while. But if you're in the south, definitely get it tinted.

I live in the Phoenix area and have had the car since August of last year. I have not noticed the pano roof contributing in any significant way to the interior cabin temperature, but of course you should take steps to limit heat and light coming in through your other windows.

Also, not sure how UV blocking would do anything to benefit heat. UV is not a significant carrier of heat. It is IR (infrared) that you want to block, not just UV. Blocking UV is good at protecting our DNA from getting mutated, but wouldn't think it would do as much as blocking the IR spectrum.

- - - Updated - - -

Another tip for Arizona Model S owners - pre-cool whenever possible!

Thanks everyone for the responses. We ordered with the Pano roof. See you at the superchargers.

Congratulations! I can only echo what the others have said. The pano roof was not an issue even in the dead heat of the summer...truly remarkable. You should definitely set up a tinting appointment for your vehicle. The AZ owners have good "tint guy" recommendations for when you get delivery! I used Molina mobile tinting for a cost of about $140.

Another benefit of the Pano roof is you can vent the roof at the same time you pre-cool the cabin with the smart phone app. I debated on the Pano roof, but decided to get it. I'm so glad I did.

> UV is not a significant carrier of heat. It is IR (infrared) that you want to block, not just UV. [AR]

My house window stickers say: U-Factor=0.34, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient=0.32, Visible Transmittance=0.59.

Most of the year I'd love to have SHGC=0.99 but the 4 other months are already too hot with the 0.32, so what can one do? [rhetorical question].

It could be that the glass additives to reduce UF and SHGC are the same anyway. Can they even make 'hothouse glass' that still protects from UV?
--

Last edited:
My husband was very skeptical about me getting the pano roof for this exact concern. As a matter of fact, my first test drive was at night, and my husband insisted I go back and test drive again in the daylight. I did go ahead and get the pano roof - though I haven't been thru a summer yet, I don't feel any significant heat thru it as of yet. The store/dealer/gallery (or whatever we're allowed to call it in AZ) told me its got crystalline on it. I don't know if that's true, but if not, it is definitely something similar. I did get 3M crystaline on all other windows (the darkest they offer), plus the windshield (illegally, but at a lower blockage). I had crystalline on my BMW (in Texas), so I knew how great it is. You can definitely feel the difference when driving a non crystaline car (like my husband's). I did not get it on the pano, given they said it already had it - and my tint guy said, why not wait and see. Well...he lost money on that recommendation!!! Because so far, I don't feel like I need anything additional.

Having said all that....I will say that I hardly ever open the pano. Its just too noisey. And....in AZ....it ends up too bright (though, I did love my bmw convertible, so I can't explain that). But, I am still glad I got the pano. Both for the ability to open it (even if infrequently), and because of the 'look' and 'feel' it gives.

If you need a good tint guy in Scottsdale - Rich at Cactus Tint was great, and has done several Teslas. He even took my car over to the SC when he was finished, for something unrelated that I needed done. The installation job has been higher quality than on my BMW from another shop/city. And I'm confident he would stand behind it in the unlikely event something needed to be addressed.

So....go for it! Get the pano! But whether you do or not.....get some high quality tint, like crystalline!

p.s. check back with me in 30 days....but I think that the windsheild tint may have saved me from a mobile speed camera. Unless I had some other kind of good luck....I think the camera couldn't get a good picture of me. I hope I didn't jinx myself by announcing this!!!

My husband was very skeptical about me getting the pano roof for this exact concern. As a matter of fact, my first test drive was at night, and my husband insisted I go back and test drive again in the daylight. I did go ahead and get the pano roof - though I haven't been thru a summer yet, I don't feel any significant heat thru it as of yet. The store/dealer/gallery (or whatever we're allowed to call it in AZ) told me its got crystalline on it. I don't know if that's true, but if not, it is definitely something similar. I did get 3M crystaline on all other windows (the darkest they offer), plus the windshield (illegally, but at a lower blockage). I had crystalline on my BMW (in Texas), so I knew how great it is. You can definitely feel the difference when driving a non crystaline car (like my husband's). I did not get it on the pano, given they said it already had it - and my tint guy said, why not wait and see. Well...he lost money on that recommendation!!! Because so far, I don't feel like I need anything additional.

Having said all that....I will say that I hardly ever open the pano. Its just too noisey. And....in AZ....it ends up too bright (though, I did love my bmw convertible, so I can't explain that). But, I am still glad I got the pano. Both for the ability to open it (even if infrequently), and because of the 'look' and 'feel' it gives.

If you need a good tint guy in Scottsdale - Rich at Cactus Tint was great, and has done several Teslas. He even took my car over to the SC when he was finished, for something unrelated that I needed done. The installation job has been higher quality than on my BMW from another shop/city. And I'm confident he would stand behind it in the unlikely event something needed to be addressed.

So....go for it! Get the pano! But whether you do or not.....get some high quality tint, like crystalline!

p.s. check back with me in 30 days....but I think that the windsheild tint may have saved me from a mobile speed camera. Unless I had some other kind of good luck....I think the camera couldn't get a good picture of me. I hope I didn't jinx myself by announcing this!!!

This is off topic, but if you do receive a photo ticket, just don't respond and there should be no adverse action against you. Photo tickets are not enforceable per everyone I've spoken with, some who have successfully dodged them by playing dumb, and based on an entire thread either here or over at TM.