Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you knew the exact location of Tesla's new 1100 acre Gigafactory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you use the information to invest in the area and monetize this information? I thought this would be a fun topic and I would love to hear thoughts and idea. Would you buy real estate in the area? Open a franchise? Do nothing?

I honestly cant remember hearing about something this big being built in a long time. I assume some well positioned people will do well just by luck...

Thoughts / Opinions / Ideas?

B

How would I monetize this information? I wouldn't. It's a public company and you go to prison for divulging or acting on non-public information.

- - - Updated - - -

Invest in Soap on a Rope.

lol @ soap on a rope, but I think there are certainly ways someone could know or be pretty sure without it being leaked. For example if you worked in some office related to permitting, zoning, etc, you might know some info the general public doesn't.

lol @ soap on a rope, but I think there are certainly ways someone could know or be pretty sure without it being leaked. For example if you worked in some office related to permitting, zoning, etc, you might know some info the general public doesn't.
I agree that there might be ways you could get a pretty good idea, but the one you give as an example would be a definite no-no. That would get you in a lot of trouble with the SEC.

I have no connection with the company. I am a regular Tesla owner that just stumbled on the info. Maybe I should have said I heard it in the bar. Dont plan to do anything with the info or break the law just thought it would be a fun conversation. To me its like getting a great stock or real estate tip. Its info that gets talked around.

What can you really do with the info anyway?

I agree that there might be ways you could get a pretty good idea, but the one you give as an example would be a definite no-no. That would get you in a lot of trouble with the SEC.

If you don't think that sort of information leak happens every day in pretty much every permitting/zoning office I have some oceanfront property in Az. you might be interested in. It might or might not be located near the giga factory....:wink:

:smile:
I have no connection with the company. I am a regular Tesla owner that just stumbled on the info. Maybe I should have said I heard it in the bar. Dont plan to do anything with the info or break the law just thought it would be a fun conversation. To me its like getting a great stock or real estate tip. Its info that gets talked around.

What can you really do with the info anyway?

Why didn't you say so in the first place? My recommendation: take Gaswalla's advice.

If you don't think that sort of information leak happens every day in pretty much every permitting/zoning office I have some oceanfront property in Az. you might be interested in. It might or might not be located near the giga factory....:wink:
I didn't say the information wasn't routinely leaked, I just said you risk getting in really big trouble if you use said information.

would you get in trouble with the SEC if you used that info to buy land cheap near the property and build a taco shop and a barber shop? I would think a person working in a zoning office that acted on that info might not even be against the rules depending on what they do with it. Then again maybe the SEC would have Seal Team 6 raid you. I wish I had to worry about such things.

I didn't view the original question as something having to do with stock investing that could bring the SEC down on you. I viewed it as if you knew the location, would you buy a subway franchise and build it a block away, or open up a fitness center, or a coffee shop, bar, day care, cyber school. Any number of other businesses that would be necessary to help support the new jobs in the area.

I remember reading in one of my business books that for every new job that is created it takes an additional ca 1.4 (I forget the exact number) jobs to support that new job because of the population growth.

I think that building permits are public record everywhere in the USA. I have actually purchased copies of all permits pulled in an area for a certain time period before to do market share analysis of a particular area or town.

How would you use the information to invest in the area and monetize this information? I thought this would be a fun topic and I would love to hear thoughts and idea. Would you buy real estate in the area? Open a franchise? Do nothing?

I honestly cant remember hearing about something this big being built in a long time. I assume some well positioned people will do well just by luck...

Thoughts / Opinions / Ideas?

B

Tell the internet, the internet knows how to keep a secret lol

As others have said, stock investment can trigger the SEC. Though you probably could get away with it if you randomly heard it and no one knew you heard it since you could be just speculating. (Not that I suggest doing it). Buying up property though you can do (Though consult your lawyer first) but the question comes down to something more simple, how credible do you think this information is? (Is it credible enough to spend thousands if not millions on real estate?). Or you can take the cheap no risk way out and sell the info to a reporter who is interested.

Man tough crowd. It was a fun speculation question. Like no one has ever used information to make money in this country:rolleyes:

Anyway site is 1000 to 1100 acres. Its been purchased and its a done deal. Nevada is the state you guess the city and I will confirm..

NOW the big question is landlord or a In&Out burger franchise... :wink:

Man tough crowd. It was a fun speculation question. Like no one has ever used information to make money in this country:rolleyes:

Anyway site is 1000 to 1100 acres. Its been purchased and its a done deal. Nevada is the state you guess the city and I will confirm..

NOW the big question is landlord or a In&Out burger franchise... :wink:

Nevada was probably on top of the list when neither Arizona nor Texas passed the legislation. Not to mention it has the shortest route.

Know if the Lathrop, California purchase was somehow related? (It is kind of on the way to Reno)