Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there battery pre-heating possibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the battery is pre-heated also, not just the cabin? There were some claims, that there is not any battery pre-heating possibility, apparently this was wrong info.
Do you get full regenerative breaking right form the start?

So the battery is pre-heated also, not just the cabin? There were some claims, that there is not any battery pre-heating possibility, apparently this was wrong info.
Do you get full regenerative breaking right form the start?

This preheating of the battery as a side effect of preheating the cabin does work, but if very cold, can take upwards of an hour to get to operating temperature. For winter hypermile adventures, I try to preheat for two hours before departure. Energy stored in a warm cabin and a warm battery is more energy in the car so that I can get max range.

Another way to preheat the battery is plan charging to finish just before departure. The battery is also heated during charging.

pre-heating and pre-charging both heat the battery pretty well. we also have a Leaf and I can say that Tesla is way ahead in this and many other regards. for those in very cold climates I suggest that an 80A charger is a worthwhile investment if for no other reason than to make heating the battery go faster. 40A will do it, but 80A is faster. Leaving a chunk of the charging to be done just prior to departure is the key.

As far as I know, only models shipped to northern Europe and perhaps northern parts of US\Canada has dedicated battery-heaters. If you don`t use rangemode, the battery will preheat at 6 kW untill itj reaches 30 kW-regen I think while you heat the cabin. After 30 mins both stop. If you use rangemode the batteryheater is turned off. If I go on roadtrips and the temperature is very low I either use the charger at 13 amps and preheat with rangemode off, and turn on rangemode when I get in my car.

As far as I know, only models shipped to northern Europe and perhaps northern parts of US\Canada has dedicated battery-heaters. If you don`t use rangemode, the battery will preheat at 6 kW untill itj reaches 30 kW-regen I think while you heat the cabin. After 30 mins both stop. If you use rangemode the batteryheater is turned off. If I go on roadtrips and the temperature is very low I either use the charger at 13 amps and preheat with rangemode off, and turn on rangemode when I get in my car.

I believe this is incorrect.

All models appear to have battery heaters. I do not live in the Northern US and mine does. Not only do you notice the energy usage, but in many cases the car will alert you that the battery is heating.

There is a separate cold-weather package, but that includes items other than the pack heater.

Scaesare: I believe I heard that northern european versions have a more powerful batteryheater. It was a option in the winterpackage in Norway but before the first cars got deliverred they made it stock for all cars deliverred here.

Using the app to pre-heat the cabin does turn on the battery heater as of 5.9 software. This is fantastic for me, because I had been using the timer to start charging during the night; but every day's drive is different for me so each evening I had to set the timer so that charging would finish shortly before I head out in the morning to ensure a heated battery. Once I had to set the timer for 11:00, but accidentally used AM instead of PM so awoke to a surprise. Now I have turned off the timer and just use the app.

Also one night (after the 5.9 update) I forgot that I left range mode on (which turns off battery heat while driving), but I had full regeneration available after pre-heating the cabin 15 min. in the morning. Temp just above freezing. So with the car not charging and sitting in temps <40F for at least 4 hours, I feel confident that the app will turn on the battery heater even if range mode is on.

Scaesare: I believe I heard that northern european versions have a more powerful batteryheater. It was a option in the winterpackage in Norway but before the first cars got deliverred they made it stock for all cars deliverred here.

I was responding to this:
taraquin said:
As far as I know, only models shipped to northern Europe and perhaps northern parts of US\Canada has dedicated battery-heaters...the battery will preheat at 6 kW...

All models have dedicated battery heaters. You also can see a draw of up to ~6kW on the dash when it kicks in, and folks with dedicated power meaters have reported usage up in that range when the heater kicks in while on shore power.

So, non Northern-European/US/Canadian cars also have what you describe.

If cars in those regions have additional battery heating, it doesn't seem to be reflected in power usage. It's also not something listed in the description of the Tesla Motors Cold Weather Package option:

cwp.PNG

Given that the battery health is tied to thermal management, and cars from the more southern states regularly drive up in the northern states or Canada or can be re-sold in those regions, it would seem odd to install those based on initial geographic sales point and not have any discussion of how to determine if you have it, ot retrofit that in to an existing car...

Batteryheater WAS listed in the winterpackage but was included in the standardpackage right before the first deliveries in Norway. People got refunds due to batteryheater being removed from winterpackage. The first tested american versions was said to lack the improved batteryheater as well.

Battery heating is a side effect of battery charging. Therefore, another way to heat the battery when the car is fully charged is to increase the charging limit. For example, if the limit is normally set to 80%, increase it temporarily to 90%. This will start the charging and the battery heating - independent of the passenger compartment heating.

Battery heating is a side effect of battery charging. Therefore, another way to heat the battery when the car is fully charged is to increase the charging limit. For example, if the limit is normally set to 80%, increase it temporarily to 90%. This will start the charging and the battery heating - independent of the passenger compartment heating.

Sounds like this thread may be relevant here: Would you use battery heating if it were available?

I'm getting lost... does pre-heating the cabin heat the battery as well? Or is charging the only way to heat the battery?
Furthermore, can you guys confirm that disabling range mode will allow pre-heating of the battery?

The reason why I ask this is that I have a 100 km (60 miles) commute every day (each trip), so a few months ago I decided to enable range mode. But I had no idea of the effects it would have on the battery heating.

What I see every morning when it's cold is a very low regen or a fully disabled regen, even if the car was plugged. When plugged and still charging, the regen impact was smaller, but still substantial.

Do you recommend disabling range mode?

Yes, and I think it also turns off, or scales back pack heating even when you're driving the car too.

This is what I've experienced. Range mode does only the minimal amount of pack heating to keep the battery in a safe temperature range. Of course, as you drive more, if there is extra motor heat, it will heat the battery to higher than minimum, but I've found a big difference in the regen line position when charging and preheating with range mode on or off.

• Helpful
Reactions: flying_things