Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to have headlights always on when driving (not using "Auto" mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, this one is a little more serious than my "Power off" question.

Over the last 20 years, I've gotten into the strong habit of always turning my headlights on when driving -- any time during the day or night. It's an automatic habit to turn them on when starting my other cars, and turn them off when stopping. I've *never* liked the "Auto" setting on cars since they first appeared, so I never use "Auto" headlights. For instance, when it's raining or snowing out during the day, or the wipers are on, the headlights don't always turn on (depending on car make model and year).

I just like having my headlights on all the time for safety so people can see my car. It was doubly important when I had a Delorean, since it was so low to the ground, TWICE, I almost got run over by a huge SUV changing lanes because the driving just could not see my car out their rear view mirrors.

Anyway, with the Model S, there is the "Auto" setting, which I still hate. The "On" setting works fine, but like my other cars, I have to turn them on and off manually each time I drive (The MS doesn't remember the "On" setting). If I leave the headlights in the "On" position and park and get out, I get a nag screen/error message that I've left the headlights on (and here is one good reason to use "Power off" which would also shut off the headlights).

What I'd like to see in the MS interface is a headlight setting that's "On when driving" so the lights turn on whenever the car is not in Parkl.. And they automatically shut off when leaving the car WITHOUT the nag screen/error message. And if I need the headlights on when not driving, then I can still turn them on/off manually.

So to do what I want, it's either ignore the nag screen every time and the car will shut them off itself, or use the "Power off" button, which you've all convinced me that I don't need to do. And it both cases, I still have to manually turn them on when I return to the car, as the MS reverts back to "Auto" mode.

Until they fix it the way you'd like the DRLs are bright enough for safety and quite distinctive for me at least.

Send ownership an email with your suggestion and maybe they'll pass it along to the people who develop the software.

I could have swore the manual states that headlight setting is retained in your profile. And further that if your profile has Auto saved, if you change it while driving it is automatically restored to the Auto setting the next time the car turns on.

Have you tried selecting the On setting and saving your profile? Based on my reading of the manual that should have worked.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. According to the manual:

Exterior lights are set to AUTO each time you start Model S. Touch these options to temporarily change the exterior light setting.

Seems like something that should be in your profile, though.

Last edited:
Correct. The DRLs are nice, but I want full headlights, all the time (when driving).

I've done that since the 1970s with every car up until the Model S. The reason is that the HID lights do not add a great deal to visibility over the DLRs. So I just set it to auto and forget it. Take a look at the car with just DRLs and with DRLs and headlights, there's almost no difference unless you are looking right at the headlights.

I've done that since the 1970s with every car up until the Model S. The reason is that the HID lights do not add a great deal to visibility over the DLRs. So I just set it to auto and forget it. Take a look at the car with just DRLs and with DRLs and headlights, there's almost no difference unless you are looking right at the headlights.

Good idea, I shall try that. thanks.

The DRLs really are bright. Not only that, but I find them more 'eye grabbing' than if both the DRLs and headlights are on.
The lights also turn on when the wipers do, although this is a fairly recent update.

I have found that having headlights on is actually LESS safe than the DRLs. For me, if I see something bright, even during the day, I will automatically (involuntarily) look away, rather than "see" it. The DRLs are plenty bright and I agree with Jerry33 and Zythryn, the small headlight surface area doesn't add anything and the DRLs alone add enough "interest" that I will tend to look at them and take note of them more.

Move to Canada ... or just ask your friendly service tech to enable DRL always on on your car. It is after all just a switch that must be turned on in the Car configuration screen on the console of the car.

In the VisibleTesla app, when looking at the details popup window, which I guess, shows the raw data obtained from the API call, in the options value, mine has DRLH, which I assume is what you want the tech to turn on.

Move to Canada ... or just ask your friendly service tech to enable DRL always on on your car...

mine has DRLH, which I assume is what you want the tech to turn on.

Huh? First of all, DRLs aren't the same as the headlights. Second, turning the DRLs on and off is a simple setting on the CONTROLS page. My DRLs are always on, as the switch on the control panel indicates, no tech service visit required. I can also turn them off if I choose, no tech service visit required. And in VT I also have DRLH in the raw details. So your post is rather confusing.

Like the OP, I prefer to always drive with my headlights ON, not in AUTO, for several reasons:

a) Having the headlights ON is the only way to activate foglights*. Driving with foglights on, which are only enabled in conjunction with LOWBEAMS, ensures I won't be flashed by people on the highway mistaking the HID LOWBEAMs for HIGHBEAMs.

b) When the lights are set to AUTO, your taillights do not turn on** until dusk when the car switches from DRLs to LOWBEAMs. For visibility, I always want my taillights working.

* ** Model S or other US-spec cars may behave differently, but every Canadian car I have owned behaves this way.

a) Having the headlights ON is the only way to activate foglights*. Driving with foglights on, which are only enabled in conjunction with LOWBEAMS, ensures I won't be flashed by people on the highway mistaking the HID LOWBEAMs for HIGHBEAMs.

That never helps/matters in my BMW M5... I drive with low beams and fog lights and get flashed all the time from people who think my high beams are on. And yes, they are properly adjusted and auto leveling.

Also, I'd bet dollars to donuts that 90% of the motoring public have no idea that seeing fog lights automatically means an on coming car is in low beam mode and because of that not flash their lights at you if they feel you're high beams are on.

Also, I'd bet dollars to donuts that 90% of the motoring public have no idea that seeing fog lights automatically means an on coming car is in low beam mode and because of that not flash their lights at you if they feel you're high beams are on.
Can't really disagree with you. Many motorists aren't even aware of what their car is doing, much less the one coming toward them. :rolleyes:

All I can do is speak from personal experience; If I have my fogs on, I don't get flashed. (Just watch, next trip I take I'll probably get flashed constantly now that I've said that)

That never helps/matters in my BMW M5... I drive with low beams and fog lights and get flashed all the time from people who think my high beams are on. And yes, they are properly adjusted and auto leveling.

Are you sure they are not flashing you because you have your fog lights on? Fog lights can from time to time have a more blinding effect on a meeting car than the low beams. Turn off you fog lights when there isn't any fog and see what happens...

There's a reason that combining fog lights and low beams is actually illegal in some countries. That's also the reason I didn't get the fog lights on my MS, I can't legally turn them on if I don't turn off all other forward facing lights which can't be done on the MS.'