Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Lug Nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Does Tesla sell or a third party offer black lug nuts? I put on the summer tires with the new black rims and it would look so much nicer with black lug nuts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Been discussed a couple of times, here's the latest discussion:

Black Powder Coated Wheels

I may go the BMW lug route soon. I ditched the lock lug for that I knew one day that was going to be an issue and it did! Lost the key, left it in the rim after doing a test run in the Roadster and heard it get flug out off into the wild abyss. Tesla was very kind to lend me their master locking key set (12 or more lock combinations) and bust the locks off. They also supplied 4 stock torx bolts to replace the locks as goodwill.

One thing to note is that some people on the Lotus Forum have reported the BMW lugs loosening, but others have not. If you do put the BMW bolts on, as a matter of fact any aftermarket wheel lug, always recheck them after the 1st drive, 5th drive, 12th drive, etc. until you feel comfortable they haven't backed out on you. Thread and pitch is the same and it has a cone shape that mates to the rim so I don't see why they'd back out.

Last edited:
Roadster Lug Bolt.png

Roadster Lug Bolt Specification for future reference.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
... wheel lug, always recheck them after the 1st drive, 5th drive, 12th drive, etc. until you feel comfortable they haven't backed out on you. Thread and pitch is the same and it has a cone shape that mates to the rim so I don't see why they'd back out.

This is very good advice with any lug bolt/nut, not just aftermarket. I had the Tesla lug bolts come loose on one rear wheel. Fortunately I heard it and caught it before any damage was done. Always re-torque your lug bolts within 2 days after any wheel is removed. Tesla service will do it free. Many tire shops are now making customers sign a release of liability if they don't come back for free re-torque within x days or miles.

This is very good advice with any lug bolt/nut, not just aftermarket. I had the Tesla lug bolts come loose on one rear wheel. Fortunately I heard it and caught it before any damage was done. Always re-torque your lug bolts within 2 days after any wheel is removed. Tesla service will do it free. Many tire shops are now making customers sign a release of liability if they don't come back for free re-torque within x days or miles.

Good to know. Hadn't heard this before and just had my summer rims put on and Tesla didn't mention this. I'll head back I guess. Thanks.

For anyone who is interested I found BLACK tuner lug bolts that exactly match the original ones from Tesla. I took me a LOT of searching but I found them on performancealloys.com (part # VSTA26-ZNNI)

Here's the direct link:
https://www.performancealloys.com/italian-tuner-bolts-vsta26-znni

I put them on my Roadster today and I think they look great!

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 65