Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Plate Mounting Poll

What did you do about your legally required front plate?

• Tesla standard plate mounting

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Skipped front plate, taking a risk with the law

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • Wire tie mounted the plate

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • J hook mounted the plate

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Other plate mounting solution (please comment on details)

Votes: 14 13.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, less than 2 days until delivery and I unfortunately live in a state that requires front plates. Trying to figure out what people have done.

Please don't vote unless you're in a state that requires plates.

Also, please don't vote if you don't have a Model S yet.

I did the zip tie method through the grill below the nosecone. Worked great, easy to install, and can always be removed easily if I want to try another method later. I also tried playing around with j hooks but found it cumbersome to get them through the grill and lined up so just did the zip ties. I live in CA where it's required.

In the past year, I've been pulled over twice on the highway (in roughly the same area) - and issued warnings for the missing front plate.

Both times the officer looked at the front of the car and saw there wasn't any obvious place to mount the plate - and wrote up the warning.

And, in both cases, the officer was much more interested in getting more information on the car (how fast it goes, how does it handle, how long on a charge, recharging time, where to charge, ...) - than in talking about the missing plate.

I have a sheriff that lives two parcels 5 acres away from me. I see him ever day on his way to work in his squad car. He waves. He's rolled down his window and talked to me about the car even walked around it. Never said a word about the missing plate. When I go downtown I just pay an extra few $ and park in a garage instead of in the street where a meter maid is sure to leave me a present. And always nose in in the garage.

Side perk is that I've driven over our toll bridge three times in the 6 months I've has my car and not been charged on my pass.

Live in California and went without a front plate on my other cars, never was pulled over. Having said that I decided to mount a plate on the Model S and used the Skene. Liked it because I can mount it lower and the 2 small holes drilled in the nose cone will never be seen. Also was not a fan of a bare plastic nose cone so I think it actually looks better with a plate.

One option missing from the poll is front plate not required

The OP wrote "Please don't vote unless you're in a state that requires plates." ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I agonized over this but ultimately decided there're too many cops in my area and it's silly not to mount it since it's required by law (IMHO). Some are lucky to live in areas where cops don't ticket for this, I guess, but in the DC metro area, particularly where I work...cops love to ticket you for little things.

- - - Updated - - -

P.P.S. Also: Some hate how it looks but unless you're in a front-plate-optional state, nearly all cars in your area have front plates. To me it doesn't look bad--it looks normal to have a plate. If I lived in a front-plate-optional state, no doubt I'd think it looked horrible. ;-)

but in the DC metro area, particularly where I work...cops love to ticket you for little things.

Isn't that just because it's impossible to speed in DC?

P.P.S. Also: Some hate how it looks but unless you're in a front-plate-optional state, nearly all cars in your area have front plates. To me it doesn't look bad--it looks normal to have a plate. If I lived in a front-plate-optional state, no doubt I'd think it looked horrible. ;-)

I live in a plates required state and it looks horrible. It's just another dumb law to generate revenue.

Over a year and have not been pulled over for no front plate. I was pulled over for no inspection sticker in the front windshield, but the sticker is not required for EVs in NJ and I had to educate the cop about it (it's only an emissions inspection so obviously it's irrelevant). The cop didn't say anything about my missing front plate.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Im tending towards the wire tie approach. Anyone have details on it? I've looked around but they're sort of imprecise. Concerns:

1) Rub on the pieces of the frame the holder presses against
2) Minimizing slack (probably just pull tight but any other ideas?)
3) Do you have to drill holes in the holder for the wire ties or do you use existing holes? How do you get the alignment/location right if you drill?

Thanks,
Rob

I mounted my plate under the nose cone and it drops down below. See the thread here. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29931-Under-the-nose-cone-license-plate-mount I hate U.S. front plates and I'm pretty happy with the result.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47226&d=1397517630.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in California, and have been ticketed before for this "offense", and didn't want to risk another ticket ... (although, that was in my red Dodge Viper, which may have been a contributing factor) ... so I use this device: Torklift Central - The Law - Removable Front License Plate

ADVANTAGES: installs easily, no holes to drill, plate can be removed without leaving any trace
DISADVANTAGE: $100 for basically a bent piece of metal and a couple screws

front.JPG