Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hissing/Distortion from front noted on some tracks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

We have discussed this before but thought I would post a new thread regarding some of the distortion heard on some tracks. It sounds as though the front tweeters/speakers have a problem with the crossovers not filtering properly.
I had the Reus upgrade done and it made the issue better...but we figured out that it is probably a software issue. The "gain" is set too high and needs to be decreased. If this issue is resolved, the distortion will likely be gone.
Tesla is aware of this issue but so far no new updates. I will mention this again when I head to the SC next week for the shield upgrade.

yes, exactly. I had the sub upgraded at Reus last week and they tested it out again with me having them listen to specific tracks. It's the software since the problem is not present on all tracks and only on ones where the "gain" seems to be dialed too high. The volume at level 7-8 is typically what I would experience at a level 5-6 in another car. The gain seems to be dialed up a bit on these tracks for some reason. Not sure if software tweaking would help, but that would be the only option from what Reus says. Wish there were a way to figure this out from Tesla directly.

the front speakers should have a crossover that blocks frequencies below 30-35Hz. somewhere in there is where they buzz horribly

- - - Updated - - -

yes, exactly. I had the sub upgraded at Reus last week and they tested it out again with me having them listen to specific tracks. It's the software since the problem is not present on all tracks and only on ones where the "gain" seems to be dialed too high. The volume at level 7-8 is typically what I would experience at a level 5-6 in another car. The gain seems to be dialed up a bit on these tracks for some reason. Not sure if software tweaking would help, but that would be the only option from what Reus says. Wish there were a way to figure this out from Tesla directly.

the front speakers should have a crossover that blocks frequencies below 30-35Hz. somewhere in there is where they buzz horribly

FYI I've found some more tracks that demo this noise pretty well. Some of them are pretty well known:

1) Lorde's Royals -- during the quiet bridge towards the latter half of the song
2) Modern English, I Melt With You -- During the iconic humming

I have many more that I've tracked by now, notably just about the entire Tron:Legacy soundtrack.