Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ordered! Requestng advice on Smart Suspension for northern Minnesota

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK – I’m in! Last week I put a payment down on an S85: Gray with Black Interior – Pano – Tech Package - hoping for late June delivery - woot!

So I’ve been wondering who would use the Smart Suspension, and I think the answer is me. I live in northern Minnesota, and the last mile to my house is a Class 5 gravel road, more dirt than gravel – and it’s spring - yesterday there were several mud wallows that the Prius had to work a bit to get to (I know a lot of you are cringing here). In the winter we get significant snow and Duluth is full of potholes and steep terrain (12% on the hill). I have an Acura MDX (original 2001 model) with 260K - that's my deep snow/woods car, and I would baby the Tesla, but am thinking the ability to raise the suspension would be a good idea.

Who has this option and can tell me about it? Was it worth it for you? Opinions are really welcome, I have a week to add an upgraded suspension to my order.

Thanks, glad to have found the forum!

There are more cars with than without it, though some of that was because that was the only available suspension for quite a while. I have the air suspension on mine and it's been helpful on numerous occasions.

Note that to keep the suspension high, you have to drive slow because over a certain speed it lowers to standard height automatically, so it won't help with potholes--other than make them feel softer--but it will help with your last mile.

You don't say but I sure hope you ordered 19" wheels.

.../ Note that to keep the suspension high, you have to drive slow because over a certain speed it lowers to standard height automatically, so it won't help with potholes--other than make them feel softer--but it will help with your last mile. /...
Haven’t Tesla said that they are going to make it possible for drivers to set the Air Suspension at the highest level and drive at higher speeds with the upcoming firmware 6.0?

Haven’t Tesla said that they are going to make it possible for drivers to set the Air Suspension at the highest level and drive at higher speeds with the upcoming firmware 6.0?

I can't recall offhand, but when you purchase something you should purchase it on the merits of what it comes with when it's delivered--with the exception of Superchargers. If it turns out that 6.x improves it, great. If not, you won't be disappointed. Of course, you would really have to work at it to be disappointed with the Model S--regardless of configuration.

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome and comments. It sounds like this is a pretty natural feature to have on a car this advanced, and it will fit where I'm driving. And heck, it's cheaper than the stereo upgrade...

@Jerry33 - yes, getting the 19" tires - this whole thing is just worlds above other cars, it's hard to wrap my head around it. It will be neat to have something that upgrades itself!

No. Minnesota

OK – I’m in! Last week I put a payment down on an S85: Gray with Black Interior – Pano – Tech Package - hoping for late June delivery - woot!

So I’ve been wondering who would use the Smart Suspension, and I think the answer is me. I live in northern Minnesota, and the last mile to my house is a Class 5 gravel road, more dirt than gravel – and it’s spring - yesterday there were several mud wallows that the Prius had to work a bit to get to (I know a lot of you are cringing here). In the winter we get significant snow and Duluth is full of potholes and steep terrain (12% on the hill). I have an Acura MDX (original 2001 model) with 260K - that's my deep snow/woods car, and I would baby the Tesla, but am thinking the ability to raise the suspension would be a good idea.

Who has this option and can tell me about it? Was it worth it for you? Opinions are really welcome, I have a week to add an upgraded suspension to my order.

Thanks, glad to have found the forum!

I live in Minneapolis and know that you have a great car. You clearly will want snow tires. You should have the ability to use a high suspension and use it going quite slow in high snow. Overall, the car works very well in our winter.

I read your post and for a second I thought you were writing about my road. Ha! I live in washington state and drive my model s P85 down a 3 mile gravel road daily(one way) I do this at minimum 3 times a day to get the kids to and from the bus. But usually more. The car handles fantastic. And yes I definitely recommend air. I raise the car to high which you can now go up to 35mph daily and definitely used very high(up to 20mph) with snow during the winter (we had anywhere from 6" to 3' at one time)

I read your post and for a second I thought you were writing about my road. Ha! I live in washington state and drive my model s P85 down a 3 mile gravel road daily(one way) I do this at minimum 3 times a day to get the kids to and from the bus. But usually more. The car handles fantastic. And yes I definitely recommend air. I raise the car to high which you can now go up to 35mph daily and definitely used very high(up to 20mph) with snow during the winter (we had anywhere from 6" to 3' at one time)

Cool, nice to know that someone else takes a Tesla on dirt roads - three miles is a pretty long haul! Most of the time ours is in pretty good shape, but I feel like I should set up a car wash station at the end of my drive.

Cool, nice to know that someone else takes a Tesla on dirt roads - three miles is a pretty long haul! Most of the time ours is in pretty good shape, but I feel like I should set up a car wash station at the end of my drive.

+1

ha! I've said this so many times. We put xpel ultimate full coverage on our car to protect the paint and the front window from any stray rocks that might fly(can I just say completely worth the $) anyhow you can get a film wax and apply it and it does a great job at helping to repel the dirt so you can really just rinse the car vs having to do a complete "wash" as you normally would especially on a rainy day when it would be muddy water. But ya. We've also talked about setting something up. But I live in seattle where it rains like 280 days a year. I just let Mother Nature do it for me. :)

OK, I did my part for Earth Day- the Tesla order is confirmed! I know it's a sacrifice, but this planet is worth it! :smile:

(and yes, it has smart suspension!)

I'll keep you all posted - eta late June!

Congrats! What a way to celebrate. My Model S was delivered on National Plug In Day in 2012 so an easy day to remember as well.