Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Sport or Not??????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, need a little help here. I just put a deposit down on roadster 562. This car is for sale with phillips auto in California. Title does not say anything about being a sport. Car has rear badging saying it is a sport. I can't tell if the center "S" in Tesla in the seats is red because the seats are red. The vin's eighth digit is a 1 not a 3. Are there any other ways to indicate if it is sport or not? Did someone just buy the rear badging and put it on the car?

Did you already purchase it? Because it is marked as sold on their website. The VIN digit is probably the biggest tell. Wasn't there something else like an emblem or some marking that was on top of the PEM or battery pack for the Sport also? I don't see that. I also don't see them calling it a Sport in the description. I would consider it a non-sport unless it could be proven otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I was thinking about:

2010-tesla-roadster-sport-motor.jpg

The adjustable suspension was standard on the Sport model, but optional on the non-Sport. It's easy to spot the adjustable ends of the sway bars if you turn the front wheel and look behind it. If the sway bar isn't adjustable, it's not a Sport.

Hey guys, need a little help here. I just put a deposit down on roadster 562. This car is for sale with phillips auto in California. Title does not say anything about being a sport. Car has rear badging saying it is a sport. I can't tell if the center "S" in Tesla in the seats is red because the seats are red. The vin's eighth digit is a 1 not a 3. Are there any other ways to indicate if it is sport or not? Did someone just buy the rear badging and put it on the car?

Just a word of caution. I bought my car from Phillips Auto and they told me my Roadster had 6-7 months of warranty left and it turned out it had already expired. Make sure you check everything out carefully since they are a consignment dealer and go based off what the owner says.

Yup looks like just a badge change - but he also added a rear camera and got the forged wheels. So not a sport but the price reflects that already - the owner
possibly did some more modifications (ie suspension upgrade) so maybe you can dig some more.

It is offical. It is not a sport. That is what I figured when I saw the "1" in the eighth spot in the vin. But I was hoping ,that just maybe, it was an early 2010 production that didnt have all the fancy badging. After a positive check up from the tesla dealer, It will be on its way to its new home. Thanks for all the help.

#562 was not originally a sport. The VIN shows it as a non sport.

I have seen other non-sport Roadsters where Tesla put sport body panels on it.

Yeah, you could check the PEM label and the VDS to see if the drivetrain was upgraded too... But my guess would be it was just a cosmetic change.