Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S not reading 128GB micro SD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased a 64GB Sandisk micro SDXC card back more than a year ago when I took delivery of my car.
I loaded it up with music and it has worked fine ever since.
When sandisk announced their 128GB version I ordered that one.
I loaded it up with music and the Model S just does not see it.
I have tried formatting with FAT32 and still no luck.

If anybody has any experience with this or any suggestions
I would love to hear them

Thanks

The thing is, your card reader must be SDXC compatible or it wont recognize a 64GB+ card

Windows by default wont let you format sd cards as anything other than exfat (64GB+), the car is linux based so you cant read exfat unless tesla pays up.

your choices using gparted live cd to force the format to fat32, this works with 64GB but i have not tried it with 128gb
or using ext4 which handles any size of card and the car should be able to read it assuming your SD to USB adapter is working and is compatible

i doubt the card is "bad" just format it to exfat and make sure the card is still recognized, then use gparted and try fat32

My bad. Turns out the USB drive I was using had some sort of bad blocks on it. Linux on my desktop still managed to mount and read files off of it but Tesla wouldn't, which led me to believe ext3/4 does not work on Tesla. I tried a different USB drive and ext2 as well as ext3 worked just fine on Tesla. I did not try ext4 but I am sure it will work.

As someone suggested long ago on the forum, I bought a 1.5TB hard drive and am running that through a USB port. I have one partition of about 850GB and the remainder in a second partition. In order to make this work you have to use a third party formatter, since Windows wont format FAT32 anywhere near that size. I used FAT32Formatter, and it worked great. A couple of cautions, tho. If you use FAT32formatter the help screens will only work through Internet Explorer. Second, once you have the drive loaded, it takes a fair amount of time for the car to load in the directory, so don't panic if it doesn't show up for a minute or two.

Sorry to be Off Topic.. But, Do you know, if I can browse the collection on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note II) connected via BlueTooth, from the car's screen.
I am currently playing music from my phone using bluetooth. But to play a specific album/song, currently, I need to select it from the phone.

My bad. Turns out the USB drive I was using had some sort of bad blocks on it. Linux on my desktop still managed to mount and read files off of it but Tesla wouldn't, which led me to believe ext3/4 does not work on Tesla. I tried a different USB drive and ext2 as well as ext3 worked just fine on Tesla. I did not try ext4 but I am sure it will work.

you made me question my own post haha, EXT4 isnt really needed but someone confirmed it worked (Playlists on USB - Page 3), its perks are irrelevant to reading static files (journaling, ultra file sizes in the form of 16TB, volume size of 1 exa byte, some other ridiculous things).

EXT3 should support any size of drive you throw at it, to my knowledge it supports up to 32TB volumes which to my knowledge no laptop sized self powered drive can handle yet (its possible we may see 32TB 2.5" drives before the retirement of the car however)