Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my (defective) UMC replaced -- excellent service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a brief notice on excellent Tesla service. My MS85 would not charge the other night and displayed "Contact Tesla Service" and "Check Power Source and Charge Cable" on the display. I contacted the Rockville, MD SC and Erick pulled my log and said bring the UMC cable with you. They quickly determined that the UMC had gone bad, installed the titanium shield, and off I went. Since then, no problems charging. What excellent service!

Erick and the crew @ Rockville are good folks.

This does beg a question, however... I believe the UMC has only a 1 yr warranty(?)... I rarely use my UMC as I have a HPWC at home. Given that I have a UMC almost a year old.. I wonder if I have an older design, and/or if it will be likely to develop issues?

It seems as if I've heard of a decent number of them being replaced over time...

I think I may exercise mine over the next few weeks...

Erick and the crew @ Rockville are good folks.

This does beg a question, however... I believe the UMC has only a 1 yr warranty(?)... I rarely use my UMC as I have a HPWC at home. Given that I have a UMC almost a year old.. I wonder if I have an older design, and/or if it will be likely to develop issues?

It seems as if I've heard of a decent number of them being replaced over time...

I think I may exercise mine over the next few weeks...

Yes, it seems to be hit or miss. I used my UMC as my primary charging source for my first year, then I put in an HPWC at my primary residence. I liked it so much, I put an HPWC in my second home. Since then, the UMC has mostly stayed in the car, but it worked great for the first year, never got hot, and had no issues what so ever; still doesn't...

BTW, I strongly recommend the HPWC, even if hooked up for less than the 80 Amp max. Of course, I am also a big fan of dual chargers to use that HPWC power when needed and High Amp J1772's in the wild.