Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery in Texas but register in a different state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it logistically practical to have the car delivered in Texas but initially register it in Georgia (which offers a tax rebate) under a family member's name? And then little bit further down the road, maybe early next year, have the registration transferred to Texas under my name so I can get the texas plates?. Both owners would be listed on the title from the get go. Would the car need to be physically present in Georgia to have it registered there. Would Tesla provide temporary Georgia plates or Texas plates?Are there any pitfalls that may not allow for this?
Thanks for your help.

I don't think you'd be able to do this and it's obviously ethically questionable, but to answer your question about the temporary registration - in NC, you actually get the car with a temporary California registration and I suspect that's how it would be in Texas too. Not sure if that's what they do everywhere.

I can't really speak to most of your questions, but last year when I got mine (Texas) Tesla supplied a temp CA tag that was taped inside that back window. This may be U.S. universal?

Also, even if you get a tax rebate from Georgia, Texas may end up taking the difference (if TX is higher than what you paid GA) when you register the car here.

Would your family member be responsible if you were in an accident and something happened since you are effectively driving their car until you transfer it back? Probably not worth the hassle.

I think to get the car registered in GA, you would need to pay the GA state sales tax.

Then, to somehow(?) get the car's title registered in Texas (transferring title) would bring ANOTHER round of taxes (which state would be your claimed domicile? i.e.: which state are you registered to vote?).
Now, if you could claim residence in say West Virginia with its $7,500 state tax refund (or some other state with a very high EV tax rebate), then it might make some financial sense.

But all the shenanigans would probably still not be worth the trouble or headache.

Thanks for all the input. Agreed - too much trouble and headache.

I think to get the car registered in GA, you would need to pay the GA state sales tax.

Then, to somehow(?) get the car's title registered in Texas (transferring title) would bring ANOTHER round of taxes (which state would be your claimed domicile? i.e.: which state are you registered to vote?).
Now, if you could claim residence in say West Virginia with its $7,500 state tax refund (or some other state with a very high EV tax rebate), then it might make some financial sense.

But all the shenanigans would probably still not be worth the trouble or headache.

I'm in Texas, and a number of years ago a former girlfriend's son moved here from PA. He was able to get Texas plates for his truck without ever transferring the title to Texas. It was perfectly legal to do so, at least it was about 10 years ago. You might want to call the local tax office and check.