Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's not to like about the model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I took some friends out to lunch in Nikola a few days ago, one of whom likes to ask tough questions, in this case: "so what do you like least about the model S? It set me back because I thought there was absolutely nothing I don't love about this car. But after some thought my wife and I did come up with some things that could be better. In the spirit of perfecting the thing, here they are:

1. Lack of storage for small items in cabin; hence need a bin/bag. Some door storage and a bin in the center tower console would be nice, even if ony as options. Also, cup holders for the rear could be built into the top of the tower quite easily.

2. No storage for parcel shelf, viz. Lexus RX retractable cover can at least be stowed on the floor. Of course it is just a soft cover and won't really hold up parcels. Still we need a way of getting rid of the shelf when unexpectedly putting up the jump seats while out on the road.

3. Prohibition against towing / hitch: this doesn't seem necessary to us. If this car can climb the Alps and the Rockies, it can tow at least a small trailer.

4. Back seat warmth deficit: there isn't enough heat flowing into the back seat, and what there is comes out too high. Folks get cold feet back there. This should be adjustable to preference.

5. Cruise control position: I wouldn't reverse it with the directional stalk as in my BMW, but I would either put it lower than the directional stalk or below the shift stalk. When it has to be actively managed, it's a real pain where it is now. Of course, adaptive cruise would take care of this.

6. Radio reception is weak, compared with other cars in the same places. Presumably the lack of a stalk antenna is the culprit.

That's it. The list is short...

6. Is a big one for me pretty much no AM and I like listening to live sports.

7. No coat hooks. Lack is really irritating. Jacket slides all around the back seat.

8. Bluetooth is very rudimentary. Only one connected device at a time.

9. USB does not support iOS devices as iOS devices, only charging the device.

9. USB does not support iOS devices as iOS devices, only charging the device.

I just found out today that the Model S won't charge my iPad2, at least in the driver slot. (I didn't think, at the time, to try the other port). Anyone else? Because although it charges fine at home, there was that drop several months ago from counter height onto a tile floor.... when I connect to MS the iPad shows that it's plugged in and then displays "Not Charging".

10. Having to wash the car 10000% more than I have any other car..... because... it just deserves it. But that doesn't mean I like it. I mean, I like the result... :)

2. No storage for parcel shelf, viz. Lexus RX retractable cover can at least be stowed on the floor. Of course it is just a soft cover and won't really hold up parcels. Still we need a way of getting rid of the shelf when unexpectedly putting up the jump seats while out on the road.

Actually, the parcel shelf and foot well cover will fit in the frunk. Try it. Doesn't seem like they would, but they do long ways (front to back).

I just found out today that the Model S won't charge my iPad2, at least in the driver slot. (I didn't think, at the time, to try the other port). Anyone else? Because although it charges fine at home, there was that drop several months ago from counter height onto a tile floor.... when I connect to MS the iPad shows that it's plugged in and then displays "Not Charging".

The USB port most likely will only output 1 amp to charge an iPad it requires 2 amps. Just like trying to charge it on your computer. It should say the same thing unless you have high output USB ports.

11. Neck pain for a first week of driving it. Found it was hard to get used to a new driving position. Don't know why. Better now that I've had it a month.

12. Hard for small child to see out of rear window when riding in the jump seat. My 4-yo stopped sitting back there after 2 weeks because he was craning his neck up to look out the window and complained of neckaches. He didn't like staring at the trunk. I had to install his car seat in the backseat, which diminishes the minimalist look a bit.

13. Radio static when I place my iPhone on the shelf under the screen. I have to put phone farther away, usually a cup holder.

14. Position of cup holders. Awkward to pick up cup while driving.

15. Wish there were storage under the arm rest. Would retain minimalist design while allowing to store just a little more stuff.

16. Window tinting as an option when ordering car. I don't want to get it done now because I don't know whom to go to for a professional job, but I would have ordered it from the factory.

17. More features on the tesla app. Including ability to program the time car pre-heats/cools.

To charge the iPad or most any tablet it requires a 2A output. Most USB ports only output 1A, that it why it would charge you phone just fine but not charge the iPad, that is also why the charger for the iPad is larger that the one for the iPhone.

• Rear window is small, giving limited rear visibility; the rear camera is great for backing up but the rear window is small for freeway driving
  • Due to general visibility limitations, I really wish that a blind spot detection system was an option
  • Adaptive cruise control would be very nice; perhaps it may be added in software for those who have the parking sensors
  • Visors are too small
  • Closing the frunk - not only does it lack an automatic lifter, but it feels flimsy when you close it

The back doors are very narrow--my older parents can barely gets their legs in the doors (not very flexible). No problem in my S500, although it is bigger.
I know there's an add-on center console, but the complete lack of any organization in the default center console is awful.
Seat back pockets for kid's stuff.
Door pockets for stuff.
No spare tire (I know someone has figured that out)
3G versus 4G connectivity (can't complain TOO much, having internet at all is awesome)
Different interior carpet color options
I really think there should be more options to tweak the car on the touchscreen, and more graphs/info about trips, battery statistics, etc. (for example, why are there only 2 trip meters?!) I know the concept is to keep it simple to anyone can have a good experience with it, but give me an "Advanced Mode" that reveals a bunch of other buttons I can play with if I want to.
Lack of adaptive cruise, lane assist, guidelines on the backup camera screen, automatic emergency braking (essentially all that safety stuff Mercedes has)
Lack of heads up display projected on the windshield

I agree with all the previous items listed, esp: frunk annoying, parcel shelf storage, rear child seats--mine doesn't like it because he can't talk to us in the front seats or see us.

-m

10. Having to wash the car 10000% more than I have any other car..... because... it just deserves it. But that doesn't mean I like it. I mean, I like the result... :)

Leave the iPad pluged in the USB. You will find that it does charge...ever so slowly but it happens.

• Due to general visibility limitations, I really wish that a blind spot detection system was an option

I have noticed that wide angle of the rearview camera completely eliminates blind spots for me. I have verified it on multiple occasion now. If I do not see the car on my side mirrors, I look at the right and left edge of the camera view. Any car in my blind spot is always visible in camera view.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to have option of turning on energy saving mode from the app (maybe under the "charging" tab). I do not have charging at work and sometimes I wish I could turn on the energy saving mode from the app while I am working in my office. I think it may also come in handy when car is parked at airport and you are gone for long trips only to realize that you forgot to turn on the energy saving mode.