Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Net Metering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been involved with the process of getting a local utility company to start net metering solar PV systems?

Yes, but the situation varies by state and my FL experience isn't going to help you in NC. The best resource I have found is the Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE), just click on your state and away you go.

P.S. Here's the net metering overview for North Carolina. Seeing as the NCUC requires the utility companies to provide net metering you could also start digging through your powerco's website.

TN has net metering with AEP. It was very smooth with me and reasonably quick. They did have to upgrade my meter so it would be bidirectional. Without the new meter everything I produced added to my KWh used.

Last edited:
The net metering for NC link only pertains to investor owned utilities. It does not pertain to me.
I went to talk at the utility board meeting, perhaps things will move along, but no guarantees.
I plan on doing more work on this..

NJ has net metering laws, requiring utility companies to upgrade to a meter that can perform this. There was no direct cost to consumer. My installer submitted an application to my electric company, which then had 30 days to comply.