Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security Concern about DocuSign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my final paperwork from Tesla and read the details of DocuSign. It says that if you agree, Tesla will send all future documents through DocuSign to your e-mail address. It says you can change your e-mail address at any time, which is good. But then it says that all you need to do to change it is send them an e-mail with your old address and new address, nothing else. That sounds like someone could hack into my e-mail, ask them to change e-mail address and I'd miss future notifications, and not be aware of anything.

I know Tesla reads this forum, so I'd like to suggest they add a security step before changing someone's e-mail address.

I’m wouldn’t worry about somebody messing with your Tesla docs, but if somebody hacked into your email, they could just as likely go through your email looking for where you do your banking, attempt to log in, click ‘forgot password’ get your password reset link, log in, and drain your account. As a matter of fact, if somebody hacked your email then they can get to every single account you use that isn’t protected with two step authentication.

Lesson: Don’t let people hack your email. Add two step authentication to your email account, it is the single most important account you have...

I just got my final paperwork from Tesla and read the details of DocuSign. It says that if you agree, Tesla will send all future documents through DocuSign to your e-mail address. It says you can change your e-mail address at any time, which is good. But then it says that all you need to do to change it is send them an e-mail with your old address and new address, nothing else. That sounds like someone could hack into my e-mail, ask them to change e-mail address and I'd miss future notifications, and not be aware of anything.

I know Tesla reads this forum, so I'd like to suggest they add a security step before changing someone's e-mail address.

DocuSign supports all kinds of additional authentication methods. My credit union also uses them, and whenever I get a document there's a list of 5-10 questions about my history and financial status that would make it practically impossible for anyone to break in, even if the document was sent to their email address.

Presumably if they have need to send you further documents that are sensitive, though I can't think what that might be, they'll use some of the verification features.

I also changed my address during the process, and you're notified at both the new and old addresses of the change.

DocuSign supports all kinds of additional authentication methods. My credit union also uses them, and whenever I get a document there's a list of 5-10 questions about my history and financial status that would make it practically impossible for anyone to break in, even if the document was sent to their email address.

Sometimes it makes me unable to log in... "Did I really live there? What was that street name? I don't remember the 5th car I had!"

I’m wouldn’t worry about somebody messing with your Tesla docs, but if somebody hacked into your email, they could just as likely go through your email looking for where you do your banking, attempt to log in, click ‘forgot password’ get your password reset link, log in, and drain your account. As a matter of fact, if somebody hacked your email then they can get to every single account you use that isn’t protected with two step authentication.

Lesson: Don’t let people hack your email. Add two step authentication to your email account, it is the single most important account you have...
If your bank does online banking by email you need a new bank.

If your bank does online banking by email you need a new bank.

heh... I agree. That's not what I describe though.

I'm talking a scenario where somebody has access to your email account (online one, like gmail.. complete with archives).. Does your bank send you notifications when your statements are available? etc... does your credit card? Imagine somebody can read all your email and what information they can glean about you. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, rather trying to say that if somebody has 'hacked your email', then docusign is perhaps the least of your worries.

The original post made it sound like anyone could email Tesla from any email account and say 'that's my car and this is my new email address'. I doubt that is how they would handle things.

Spoofing an email address is extremely easy to do, so it's easy to pretend to be someone else. Hopefully, Tesla a two way authentication and verifies that you actually made the request.

If someone can hack your email account, they may just as well hack your Tesla account which is just as "easy" to hack if not easier depending on your email provider.

we moved last year and the entire buy process of the new house and the sell process of the old house was via docusign. of course there are always security risks, but docusign is pretty much standard out here in SF bay area for real estate - so there is a good amount of ongoing validation of the company/ product

I'll just chime and say that DocuSign is VERY secure. As a Financial Advisor (and supervising principle of 50+ Advisors) I can tell you that our entire firm uses DS. We use it for all internal documents and client accounts, many of which are in the millions of dollars. Never had a problem.