Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-model refresh/facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi...

Anyone know if Tesla will do a mid-model refresh or facelift like how Mercedes does on their cars? Just wondering if the Model S will be the same until they stop making it or if they've announced anything like this. Since they're not a traditional car company, I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks.

-m

Well, they changed the nose cone early on, but other than adding some features I don't expect them to do anything special. Thinking their energy is going into Model X right now and using Model S for cash flow. [knock on wood]

Yeah. Just wondering if the Model S will ever get LED headlights and other modern items that are on current luxury cars now. (2014) It would be super cool if they could be retrofitted onto older cars too (like just swap the headlight assembly)

-m

They already have done a "model refresh", several times in fact.

I had a loaner 60Kw today, it had power folding mirrors and parking sensors, both of which where not availble when I ordered in Early December of 2012 (my Model S was built in December 2012, took delivery January 2013). There are also rear seat heaters/heated wipers (the "winter" package), also was not availble back then. Of course the prices have also gone up as well, so not complaining..

Yeah. Just wondering if the Model S will ever get LED headlights and other modern items that are on current luxury cars now. (2014) It would be super cool if they could be retrofitted onto older cars too (like just swap the headlight assembly)

-m

If this happens it would most likely be a drop in replacement that you could get. It would be a paid upgrade as there would be nothing wrong with the existing lights.

My best guess has always been that they'll continue to do minor tweaks and upgrades as they have been doing to the S, and eventually they'll do a full refresh, My suspicion though is that the full refresh will only come after the X is out, the E is out, and possibly the next gen roadster and/or pickup truck that they've hinted at. Once those vehicles are on the road, their designers will have time to go back and make an S2 or whatever. Best guess, minor changes ongoing as always, major overhaul in 5+ more years.

I remember seeing a video of Elon saying they would likely follow the typical model cycle of a minor refresh at about 3 years and major refresh at 6 or 7 years. I think it was during the questions at the shareholders meeting. A minor refresh is different than adding new features others have mentioned like folding windows and parking sensors, it usually refers to a styling change.

They may skip LED headlights and go straight for laser headlights.:rolleyes:
I have it on good authority they have been experimenting with this. Problem is, the new laser headlights keep melting the taillights of the ICE vehicles in front of them. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

I remember seeing a video of Elon saying they would likely follow the typical model cycle of a minor refresh at about 3 years and major refresh at 6 or 7 years. I think it was during the questions at the shareholders meeting. A minor refresh is different than adding new features others have mentioned like folding windows and parking sensors, it usually refers to a styling change.
Folding windows??? YIKES! :scared:

minor refresh at about 3 years and major refresh at 6 or 7 years
That may have been their intention, but I'm going to say, not a chance. 3 years is next year (car launched in 2012) There's no way they're going to spend the design resources on that right now, the X still isn't on the road, and they really need to get the E going. They have to get those two off the ground before they'll do any real design work on the S. Maybe they'll skip the minor refresh all together and we'll just see the major one at 6 years, or maybe we'll get a minor one at 5 years and a major at 8-10, but we're not seeing any design work on the S while the E is still on the drawing board.
While Tesla has a great track record of following through on their promises, their record is much less stellar when it comes to timelines, so at minimum I'd recommend adding a couple of years to pretty much anything Elon says..

green, I understand what you are saying about limited resources available for new design work for the Model S. I agree Model S specific design changes may not come in 2015 (though they continually make small improvements, like better seats they have said will go into production near term). that said, if the finalized Model X comes out with some design changes to what was in keeping with the existing Model S in the X prototype we've seen already, I see those changes being included with the Model S within the next year or so. I'm thinking, for example, of a possible reworking of the front and it's current nosecone, at the moment shared on the S and the X.