Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oppinion/Feedback for a battery please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am working on a project. I believe I need a battery that charges somewhat slow, and when full, can discharge quickly. I would be charging it with an electromagnetic induction. Therefore not a non stop current, but would be able to stop the flow of the current from coming back out of the battery once the electromagnetic induction stops. So it would be a gradual, slow process of charging the battery, but as time goes on it will eventually charge full. Once full, I would like it to be able to discharge into another battery storage of some sort, like another battery or fuel cell. I would say something sort of like a battery for a car, but I don't believe there will be enough voltage to charge it. Therefore, in summary, A battery with a lot of storage, that can be charged with low voltage, when full doesnt allow the current to flow backwards, and can be hooked up to discharge quickly into a bigger enery storage.

Would definately be looking for feedback.Please and thank you. I am stumped and this is the roadblock in my journey that I can't seem to surpass.
It will need to have a lot of storage closer to the car battery, and not just regular AAA batteries, as they are not enough.
Definately would prefer a more eco friendly battery than just something that has a few time usages and then has to be thrown in the ground harming the environment.

I have no clue as to what you are trying to do. However, whenever you charge a battery, you need a regulator to limit the voltage (and/or current if the source is powerful enough). As to prevent discharge of the battery after your source disconnects, a simple blocking diode will prevent the battery from discharging back into the charging source. As an example, blocking diodes are used in solar panels to prevent the battery from discharging back through the panel when there is no sunlight hitting the panel. As to your problem of having insufficient voltage from your battery (that you are charging) to power a larger battery there are a couple of solutions. It is obvious that you need a lower terminal voltage on the battery you are going to charge than the battery you are charging it with. You could charge multiple batteries in parallel and then re-connect them in series to get the required terminal voltage. A more common way of doing this is to use a DC-DC converter. These devices work by converting DC to high frequency AC, running it though a transformer to get the required output voltage and then convert back to DC. Using one of these might just eliminate part of your process by charging the larger "battery" from the induction source directly. BTW--you cannot "charge" a typical fuel cell. A fuel cell generates electricity by a chemical reaction with a hydrocarbon fuel and oxygen to create an electrical output. Because fuel cells are slow to ramp up or down with changing loads, batteries are usually added to the system to stabilize the output. For example in an accelerating and decelerating vehicle, the battery output changes a lot while the fuel cell input remains fairly constant. Good luck with your ideas and projects--throw some of this out to your friends a maybe they can give you some ideas.

So Siai47, Is there a certain battery which you would recommend? Im not the smartest with batteries, I have all the parts listed that I need, I just need to figure out the type and size of battery needed to start to piece it all together. Im not talking about creating my own battery, but if that is what I need to do then it would have to be way later down the road, Im just looking for a battery that is already in use, that I can test and go from there.

Your best shot would to be go to a hobby shop and by a Li-po battery that is used in model cars/airplanes etc. They usually have a nominal voltage of 3.6 volts per cell and have very high discharge rates. Capacity are measured in MAH (milliamp hours) and are available in various common sizes up to about 8000 MAH per cell. Some of the better cells can discharge at up to 40 times their C1 rate. That would be the cheapest thing you could do for your project. If you need even a higher discharge rate, you could use a capacitor in place of the battery. They can discharge all of their energy almost instantly---far quicker then your lead acid battery could absorb it.