Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers After 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if this has been asked/answered in prior threads, but is there any indication as to whether Tesla will continue to add to the Supercharger infrastructure after 2015? Will they continue to add, albeit at a reduced rate in order to fill in the gaps?

Tesla has indicated that they would continue to add to the super chargers as the fleet increases and need accelerates.

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered in prior threads, but is there any indication as to whether Tesla will continue to add to the Supercharger infrastructure after 2015? Will they continue to add, albeit at a reduced rate in order to fill in the gaps?

Hi James,

As others have posted Tesla has publically announced their intention of continuing to add to the Supercharger network.

Tesla has also gone on record of intending to accelerate the rate of Model S production and adding additional production lines for the Model X. When it introduces the mass market car it will be in hundreds of thousands per year. It therefore will be essential to actually increase the rate of Supercharger expansion to avoid hopeless congestion at Supercharging stations. The introduction of battery swapping stations colocated at Supercharger stations may mitigate congestion, but nevertheless it will be necessary to have an aggressive Supercharger expansion program to avoid serious backups at Supercharger stations as more and more Tesla join us on the highways.

Larry

Last edited:
In addition to expansion beyond 2015, it is quite possible that Tesla will be filling out the network further even before then. I have heard of at least one city being scouted for a Supercharger site that is not on the 2015 map (Binghamton, NY), and I am hoping that this is just one of many (Eria, PA...please!). I have heard the construction crews quote a target figure of 400 stations in North America, but I don't know the timeframe associated with that.

In addition to expansion beyond 2015, it is quite possible that Tesla will be filling out the network further even before then. I have heard of at least one city being scouted for a Supercharger site that is not on the 2015 map (Binghamton, NY), and I am hoping that this is just one of many (Eria, PA...please!). I have heard the construction crews quote a target figure of 400 stations in North America, but I don't know the timeframe associated with that.

Hi Jake,

Yes. New dots do appear before 2015. For instance a new Gainesville dot appeared recently here in Florida when it never was shown on previous versions of the map. It is normal for Tesla to be scouting for new locations regardless of what is shown on the current map. However, it seems that Tesla has assumed a more conservative approach in that what they post on their Supercharger map. The "Coming Soon" dots appear to be locations that are nearing the permiting phase so it may take some time for new dots to appear on the map.

Larry