Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a spoiler on ebay and it appears to have 3M tape or something similar. Any recommendations for installation? Should the paint surface be prepped with anything in particular to facilitate adhesion? Polish away the Gtechniq coating on the paint first? Avoid moisture/water for any certain period of time?

I purchased a spoiler on ebay and it appears to have 3M tape or something similar. Any recommendations for installation? Should the paint surface be prepped with anything in particular to facilitate adhesion? Polish away the Gtechniq coating on the paint first? Avoid moisture/water for any certain period of time?

With nano coating, you'll need to polish it off first. You'll need to use a polish that doesn't contain too much oils, or is too mild. Something of a medium grit and you'll usually need to use a polisher to achieve the proper removal of the coating. Then clean the surface with alcohol and test with a piece of double-sided tape and check for how well the tape will stick.

Other than that, you'll just have to make sure you'll line everything up just right...you only get one shot at a proper contact.

With nano coating, you'll need to polish it off first. You'll need to use a polish that doesn't contain too much oils, or is too mild. Something of a medium grit and you'll usually need to use a polisher to achieve the proper removal of the coating. Then clean the surface with alcohol and test with a piece of double-sided tape and check for how well the tape will stick.

The last time I brought it to Tesla for servicing, they washed the car and now it is swirled up, so I have to polish it anyway. That and finally debadge my "MODEL S."

Other than that, you'll just have to make sure you'll line everything up just right...you only get one shot at a proper contact.
Just take it to a service center - they'll align it properly and update your system to "Spoiler = TRUE" so it shows up on icons of your car on your screens and the apps.
Set it up first by outlining where you are going to place it with blue painters tape. Once you set it down on the car with the adhesive exposed it is stuck there!

This is the part that is scaring me!! :scared: I planned on marking the edges of the paint with tape and then making some marks on the middle of the spoiler and lining that up in the middle along the Tesla T logo. I'm tempted to just have Tesla do it since I'll be dropping off my car in a couple of weeks for some accumulated minor things.

I received my spoiler today from eBay. Was brand new never installed oem. Had no issue aligning and installing. Watched a couple YouTube vids on the process. Went pretty smooth. Was a bit stressful making sure it was lined up. Came out perfect.