Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving HomeLink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any success in improving the reach/range of HomeLink on the Model S? It seems to be very weird in how it operates my garage door opener. It only works within 5 feet of the garage when the front of the car faces the opener when the door needs to be closed, but when I approach my driveway it actually works further away and while I am still in the street to open. My ICE homelink seems to work just fine in any direction from pretty far away as do my remotes.

Is there anything that can be done to optimize the HomeLink antenna?

I know it is a silly gripe but it annoys me to turn have to drive out and come back on the driveway nose-in (I back into my garage) to close door (or use remote).

Our Homelink appears to work well. The icon comes up on the display at about 150 feet from the garage, then press and about 2 seconds later as i am in the driveway the door starts up. have not figured out the delay, but it is consistent regardless of where the car is in relation to the door. I can close the door heading down the street away from the garage. sounds like you might have the antenna touching some metal portion in the dash?? this would cause a mismatch of the antenna and reduce the signal strength. I would check with your local service center- maybe they can check the antenna? I am not sure where it is located (will have to do some digging on the topic).

The homelink antenna is (I think) it the front of the car behind one of the rads, shown below (the hoopy thing).

2014-04-25_14-44-56.jpg

My range is normally quite good, at least the same, or better, than our other car (Audi).

I feel as if mine was working better before 5.9 but the bottom line is mine works like the OP's description , i.e. seems better when facing frontwards. To be honest, either way the range seems limited and I'm finding I need to press the button multiple times (each time waiting about 2 seconds to see if it worked). I had a service appointment on Monday but I didn't mention it as I thought I'd heard various people complain about home link and I figured maybe this was the norm. I might ask on the 5.9 thread if anyone else has noticed it being worse.

Mine works fine -- and from slightly further away than other cars that have had homelink.

One thing you might want to do is make sure the antenna on the garage door opener itself isn't excessively shielded. On ours, its a wire that we were able to reposition a bit so instead of being tucked in by the light bulb, that it hangs out of the motor box. A few cars back, that really helped the range go from ~10 feet to 50 feet out...