Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

45k miles on original 19" goodyears, finally got the dreaded inside edge wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I thought I was going to luck out and not get this inside wear problem that everyone else has. I guess I'm not immune. Damn.

45k miles on original OEM 19" goodyears though, and compared to everyone else I guess I should be rejoicing they lasted this long, lol. BUUT I just checked and yep my inside edges are worn now. Cords aren't showing yet. I'm dropping mine off at Springfield on Monday for my 2nd annual service and to get a bunch of "noise" related items addressed. (so I'll be getting the alignment, new camber adjustment bolts, etc). I'm going to have them rotate one more time to squeeze a little more out of them until my aftermarket wheels arrive in a few weeks. The cords aren't showing yet on the rear's and the fronts aren't actually too bad but they do have the inside edge wear too.

For record,
1st rotation @ 6000 miles
2nd rotation @ 24000 miles
3rd rotation @ 36000 miles
Current mileage: 45000

So right now the front tires have seen about 18k miles in the rear, and my current rear set have seen about 27k in the rear.

The front treads currently measure about 5-6/32"
The rear treads currently measure about 3-4.5/32"

From the following pics, the first two are the rear's. As you can see, the inside edges are pretty worn but the cords aren't showing yet. The rear right is pretty close though. I don't think I could get many more miles out of these rear's if I leave them there. Problem is that they are low and putting them up front isn't the best for traction but I gotta stretch it out until my aftermarket wheels arrive.

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

The next two pics are the fronts right now. The front treads are still looking decent but you can already see that they were already developing inside edge wear. I'm surprised Norristown didn't tell me I was developing inside edge wear when I last rotated in January...that's kinda rude of them as they must have noticed it.

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

If the inside edges weren't wearing I think I could get another 5-8k miles by putting the front set in the rear. But I don't think I'm going to wait much longer. Between now and monday I'm going to put about 500 miles more on the set before I drop it off at Springfield. They'll rotate them for now. Then I go on vacation for a week (in my "ICE" car b/c there aren't superchargers yet in Allentown/Scraton/Fingerlakes area yet and I'd need fast supercharging to do this family trip in a time frame) so I'll pick it my MS back up on my way back home. I have a set of the 19" TSportline grey turbines on order so hopefully they'll be arriving end of month and I plan on swapping my TPMS onto the TSportline's and mounting 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. I'm also wondering what my alignment is now. I'm guessing I must have toe out now to get this inside wear. We will see....

I have 23k on my car and they dont look worn at all. I have not rotated them yet, mainly because I have had little time at the SC. Maybe I will make an appointment just to have them rotate. Nice to know they can last that long, would definitely buy them again.

Consider it a miracle if your alignment is not wiped out totally!!! You and I drive the same trash NJ roads daily. I have had a 1/2 mile of banging clattering and bottoming out numerous times. It is so bad I saw on TV that someone not far from me actually placed his own blacktop in a hole. Hoel maybe a crater!

I have 23k on my car and they dont look worn at all. I have not rotated them yet, mainly because I have had little time at the SC. Maybe I will make an appointment just to have them rotate. Nice to know they can last that long, would definitely buy them again.

you definitely should rotate more often. just because the car doesn't really need maintenance does *not* mean you should be skipping tire rotations. it is really key to rotate really early on for the first rotation (I did mine at 6k miles). this helps even out the wear pattern early on. If you don't, what happens is that you'll have different wear patterns between the two sets and this will accelerate tire wear for both sets.

you definitely should rotate more often. just because the car doesn't really need maintenance does *not* mean you should be skipping tire rotations. it is really key to rotate really early on for the first rotation (I did mine at 6k miles). this helps even out the wear pattern early on. If you don't, what happens is that you'll have different wear patterns between the two sets and this will accelerate tire wear for both sets.

isn't 5-6k the norm for tires anyway? like... you should be doing it every 5-6k? Unless something has changed with these tires (I am coming off of a car that has much smaller wheel size)

It might just be the angle of the photos but it appears to me that in all your images there is more wear in the centre portion of the tread as indicated by the depth of the tops of the tread wear indicators in each tread groove. If this is true it indicates overinflation - but won't have much (if any) affect on your edge wear though. MW

On my other cars I have been rotating the tires around 12-15k and in the past have gotten usually about 40-50k on a set. Mostly Highway driving. You are right, probably have gone a little long, but didnt want to take it to the tire store and the SC is a little out of the way for me. But I will definitely make the effort this next week. thanks for the tip