Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bet nobody else has charged here...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
vute2yru.jpg

It's only a 30A EVSE, but it's the only thing around.

It does look like good old Diego Garcia... Did someone take their model s there on military deployment? Haha. I was deployed waiting for my car, but so far I haven't had to leave her behind for a deployment... Sure wish I could take her with...

It does look like good old Diego Garcia... Did someone take their model s there on military deployment? Haha. I was deployed waiting for my car, but so far I haven't had to leave her behind for a deployment... Sure wish I could take her with...

Notice the distance from the current location of 10,111.3 miles. Either the car was shipped out to somewhere in the Indian Ocean, and then shipped back, or this was a GPS logging glitch. Given that this location looks somewhat east of Diego Garcia, and there is not much else out there, I vote for the latter, a GPS logging glitch.

Either way, a plausible current location for the MS is Southern California.

Diego 1.png

Diego 2.jpg

Of course, Northern Virginia works, too. I should have looked at the OP. It's amazing how great circle geometry works...

Diego 3.jpg

Oh yeah... I didn't think anyone actually had a car there... I'm Unsure how a gps glitch would be along a great circle line.

Great circle distance is just how the MS GPS does its distance measurement (typical in most GPS's). The distance (great circle) defines a circle where the car was when the picture was taken. Because the distance in the picture is more than 1/4 of the circumference of the earth, that circle of possible current car locations is on the other side of the earth from the charging location. It is interesting that an arc of that circle passes across the U.S.

A GPS glitch can put you anywhere on earth, and GPS simulators (pretty complex) can fool the car into thinking it is anywhere on earth.