Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires really that bad???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having trouble with this... I know there are differences in tire performance to be sure... but the OEM Eagles are $500 for a set and the Michelin's are more than double that. For someone who doesn't drive particularly aggressively, is there any good reason not to go with the Eagle's?

They aren't super awesome tires. But they seem to be pretty good. I am considering staying with them because they do seem inexpensive to some of the other options.

They are a bit loud for my liking, and I think you could do a bit better for service life (mine are going to last ~35k-40k miles). And I am running them just past the wear strips.

I will have to say that I like them. So much so, that I bought another set with the rediculous deal that Tire Rack is running on them (~$500 shipped for 4). I don't need them yet since I only have 21k miles on the car but I have them for when I do need them.

Where I am you can't even buy them from anywhere. That's how bad they are.
But then again, you can't buy the Michelins either.
On the other hand, all cars except Tesla are delivered with proper summer tires. Even french or korean compacts...

We've run them for 15k miles in Northwest's rainy weather and they seem fine. The tire+car's capabilities are pretty far beyond myself + wife's driving abilities :) Definitely like the RS-A2 price so will seek these for replacement when its time.

I have gone highway speeds (70mph) in the pouring rain with with grooved (from studded tires) highway pavement. It doesn't inspire the greatest confidence so I find myself wanting to slow down a little for safety. I would probably do similar in my other cars/tire combination. Don't know if any other tires on the Model S would be better or not for this condition.

Drove home fine in a freak snow storm while seeing a lot of BMWs unable to move. Model S's RWD fishtailed a little here and there compared to a FWD but not sure if anything related to the Goodyears.

My evaluation is these tires and the car's capabilities are far beyond my usage :)

The price is right.
They seem to have lower rolling resistance than the Primacy MXM4.

They have a tendency to skip across the road surface when turning. (The MXM4s just stick on the same corners.)
They seem way more flat prone.

17,000 miles in 12 months. No wear issues. Have replaced one that had a sidewall bubble from a stupid curb incident that also bent the rim a little bit otherwise no flats. A little concerned with standing water in lane ruts like @howardc64. Might look at other options but the price is ridiculously good.

I really think they are fine. Of course, you don't know what you don't know, so I might like some other tires much more if I had the opportunity to try them. I don't feel like they perform well in the snow; in fact, they're pretty terrible. However, during all other times of the year, I didn't have any problems. They seem to perform well. I do recommend getting winter tires if you're in a climate that has frequent snow. Hard to beat the price as others have noted.

Looks like I'll need to replace my Goodyear 19s at the next service visit. Tesla's indicated they put another set of Goodyear's on the car - or I can switch to the Michelin's (Primacy?).

Has anyone switched from Goodyear to Primacy on their Model S? And any recommendations for other owners?

Has anyone switched from Goodyear to Primacy on their Model S? And any recommendations for other owners?

Yes. I did. You give up a slight amount of Wh/mile for much better grip on the road. I got mine at Discount Tire where there was a $70 rebate and road hazard.

Best advice for any tire: Keep some air in them.

I will have to say that I like them. So much so, that I bought another set with the rediculous deal that Tire Rack is running on them (~$500 shipped for 4). I don't need them yet since I only have 21k miles on the car but I have them for when I do need them.

I have 17.5k but my SC said that the rears (I've had the tires rotated every 6k miles) were getting close and fronts probably aren't too far behind. If I order 4 from the Tire Rack, do I have an independent store install them?

I have 17.5k but my SC said that the rears (I've had the tires rotated every 6k miles) were getting close and fronts probably aren't too far behind. If I order 4 from the Tire Rack, do I have an independent store install them?

I have a shop near me that does all my tire installs. The SC is too far away to have them do it and my shop does a great job. There isn't anything special about the model s that makes the job difficult or special.