Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pioneer with Apple CarPlay option for Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or even the Alpine unit.

The thing I don't like about the Pioneer system is that it's just the old system that they did a firmware patch on it. You still have to plug your iPhone in. Doesn't the alpine run via bluetooth?

I suspect all CarPlay solutions involve plugging in the iPhone. It's limited to lightning connector only phones (iPhone 5 onwards) and I think there's a lot of data going over to the head unit, too much for bluetooth.

I suspect all CarPlay solutions involve plugging in the iPhone. It's limited to lightning connector only phones (iPhone 5 onwards) and I think there's a lot of data going over to the head unit, too much for bluetooth.

Isn't it just connected via USB at the back or front of the device? Would think you could use any iPhone cable but don't know. I have the newer iPhone anyway but wanted to check.

It is just connected by USB but I think it is something to do with the lightning connectors throughput... or perhaps the iPhone 5+ processing power. I'm not sure but Apple specify that CarPlay is only compatible with iPhone 5, 5s and 5c. Perhaps just another way to encourage upgrades, or they don't want to focus any effort on dealing with the 30-pin connector.

carplay.png

It is just connected by USB but I think it is something to do with the lightning connectors throughput... or perhaps the iPhone 5+ processing power. I'm not sure but Apple specify that CarPlay is only compatible with iPhone 5, 5s and 5c. Perhaps just another way to encourage upgrades, or they don't want to focus any effort on dealing with the 30-pin connector.

I bet that's it. Has nothing to do with the connector but simply needs the more modern processors so iPhone 4/4S won't cut it.