Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window needs a wiper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the camera makes up for it (90% camera / 10% window). Even in the rain the camera is not bad if you put some hydrophobic cleaner on it. It would be better if there was a blower motor to get rid of the drops though.

I do miss having a wiper as my two previous cars have had one, however I wouldn't want to see a wiper on the car because it would probably have an impact on the aerodynamics of the car (and is probably why there is no wiper), so Tesla would have to do something innovative to create a wiper that folds away out of sight when not in use.

A wiper just wouldn't look right on the car and don't think it is a major issue anyway. Can always wipe it off easily at home.

:confused: At home? I'm talking about while driving.

I guess i can try RainX or something, but in the light rain I was in yesterday, I'm not sure it would help. It seems like you'd need a certain volume of water for it to start rolling off. The drops just "stuck" to the rear glass. Maybe the pollen was helping it stick?

:confused: At home? I'm talking about while driving.

I guess i can try RainX or something, but in the light rain I was in yesterday, I'm not sure it would help. It seems like you'd need a certain volume of water for it to start rolling off. The drops just "stuck" to the rear glass. Maybe the pollen was helping it stick?

I meant in between drives a missed part about in the rain. Sorry :)

It doesn't seem to get bad enough on the road and you have the backup camera as an option. The window is so long the wiper would so small it likely wouldn't cover much of the window anyway. A wiper would be nice but try RainX as you suggested.

When I was in a Tesla showroom in the mall yesterday telling her how much we loved our MS, I asked a rep there about the lack of a rear windshield wiper and she said most sedans don't have one. Hatchbacks and some crossovers and minivans do, but most sedans don't. Even though the MS is more hatchback than sedan, it still is sporty and can pass as a sedan. She didn't really elaborate, but it's probably an aesthetics thing—the whole minimal look and "fewer moving parts means less that can break is better" thing.

When I was in a Tesla showroom in the mall yesterday telling her how much we loved our MS, I asked a rep there about the lack of a rear windshield wiper and she said most sedans don't have one. Hatchbacks and some crossovers and minivans do, but most sedans don't. Even though the MS is more hatchback than sedan, it still is sporty and can pass as a sedan. She didn't really elaborate, but it's probably an aesthetics thing—the whole minimal look and "fewer moving parts means less that can break is better" thing.

It has to do with the angle of the back glass. A low angle (like on sedans, and the Model S) get blown clean by driving forward. This keeps dirt to a minimum, and tends to keep the glass clear of water when driving.

Upright glass like on SUVs and traditional hatchbacks are upright, get lots of dirt build up on the window. Also rain and mist won't clear the window as easily when driving. Making them more in need of a rear wiper.

I still miss not having a rear wiper. I am not sure the Model S needs one, but I sure did like it when I had one.