Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline on Panoramic Sunroof on Model S? Thoughts and Experiences Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Model S - Loving it! I live in Florida and know I need to get the Windows Tinted. I read 3M Crystalline is the best on heat reduction which is needed in Florida. I called an Authorized 3M installer and was told they do not recommend doing the Roof as they have seen other cars roofs have issues as the heat cannot escape? Any info on 3M Crystalline on the Panoramic Roof greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

I very much do not recommend 3M Crystalline. while I cannot answer the sunroof question, on the other windows it looks like crap. Especially the rear hatch. The crystalline looks very purple on the MS. I took mine off and replaced it with Madico Charcool.

I have been a long time hüper optic user, but had planned on using the 3M Crystalline on my MS (ordering this fall). But after reading many threads from MS owner's experiences plan on installing Photsync instead for it's higher heat rejection (I am in Texas). I am leaning towards 55 all around 75 on the windshield (+|- the pano).

3M Crystalline is not the best for heat reduction: Based on TSER (Total Solar Energy Reduction), PhotoSync would be better. I would recommend reading the mother of all window tinting threads at Model S - Window Tinting to get a better perspective on everyone's opinion and experience. My opinion is that tinting is not necessary on the pano roof. I've experienced a full summer in Arizona, with no need for pano tinting (I do have PhotoSync all around [65%] and on windshield [75%]).

I didn't tint mine, but I think it depends on where your car is parked during the day. If it's in the shade then there's no need. If it's in the sun it's worth doing.

The interior of the car will get hot when sitting in the sun, regardless of the tint of the car. The heat will rise and the car will be hottest near the "ceiling". You can mitigate some of that by placing your pano roof in vent mode or using the remote app to vent and turn on climate control a little while before entering your car.

The interior of the car will get hot when sitting in the sun, regardless of the tint of the car. The heat will rise and the car will be hottest near the "ceiling". You can mitigate some of that by placing your pano roof in vent mode or using the remote app to vent and turn on climate control a little while before entering your car.

If you do this then is tinting really necessary? Do you feel the heat while driving with your AC on because of lack of tint on the side windows for example?

If you do this then is tinting really necessary? Do you feel the heat while driving with your AC on because of lack of tint on the side windows for example?
With our without tinting, you can feel the heat from the windows when driving. Tinting reduces the heat considerably. You will notice the heat when placing your hand in the sun coming from the side window or the windshield, but you will hardly feel any heat from the pano roof. You can always have your pano tinted at a later date, if you feel that it will be necessary. That's what I decided to do and found it wasn't necessary in my case.

Tesla some time ago made some references to a pano shade possibly being available (there is a track in the pano roof for it). I would consider it, just to reduce the amount of light coming in and possibly add an insulation layer for conducted heat/cold.

Besides reducing the heat, window film reduces the UV damage to the interior. Photosync has slightly higher heat rejection than 3M crystalline, but I didn't think it was worth the extra expense. I don't think my windows look purple. Maybe that happened with a darker film? I used 70% because I just wanted heat and UV rejection and not the tinted look.

We have photosynch made by Prestige and very happy with it. Can't tell it's there for the windscreen for their tint made for the front at 75%. We have 35% photosynch on the pano just to max out the suns rays from entering and have the sides done in 65%. High quality product and better than the other tints my wife put on to our other cars.

With our without tinting, you can feel the heat from the windows when driving. Tinting reduces the heat considerably. You will notice the heat when placing your hand in the sun coming from the side window or the windshield, but you will hardly feel any heat from the pano roof. You can always have your pano tinted at a later date, if you feel that it will be necessary. That's what I decided to do and found it wasn't necessary in my case.

Good advice.

Tesla some time ago made some references to a pano shade possibly being available (there is a track in the pano roof for it). I would consider it, just to reduce the amount of light coming in and possibly add an insulation layer for conducted heat/cold.

Early during production Tesla listed a manual sun shade as an included feature of the panoramic roof. Later it was removed from the description of the panoramic roof. After close to two years I have to conclude that this feature is not likely to be offered by Tesla despite earlier promises.

Larry

Early during production Tesla listed a manual sun shade as an included feature of the panoramic roof. Later it was removed from the description of the panoramic roof. After close to two years I have to conclude that this feature is not likely to be offered by Tesla despite earlier promises.

Larry
my MB SL had a pano roof with a shade and I really enjoyed being able to block out the sun, the jury is still out for me about if the MS needs added coverage on the pano

my MB SL had a pano roof with a shade and I really enjoyed being able to block out the sun, the jury is still out for me about if the MS needs added coverage on the pano

Hi Marc,

It would be nice if Tesla followed up on their promise to add the sun shade retroactively, but unfortunately so far they haven't. Having the option of blocking out solar radiation from entering the vehicle would reduce the solar heat load through the panoramic roof by about 19%. Having said that if the retrofit turned out to be poorly implemented, that is if it were cheesy looking or introduced rattles I would opt out if it were to be offered.

I should add that I have had my Model S for 16 months and frankly I can't recall a situation were I was uncomfortable due to heat coming through the panoramic roof. Passengers in the rear might be more affected. The idea of having a quality implementation of a sun shade appeals to me, not because I have been experiencing a problem, but because I like the option of saving energy by reducing the heat load on the air conditioning. This is the same reason I recently added tinting to my car. (3M Crystalline 70% all around including the windshield, none on the panoramic roof. I also installed the Tesla shade on the rear hatch. I think it is well implemented, but over-priced.)

Just like those situations were we place a sun shield on our windshields, the panoramic shade would come in handy when leaving the car out in the sun say while shopping at a mall. It also might be useful during a long road trip by conserving range.

Larry