Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does owning an EV impact your travel choices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Researchers at the at the Center for Transportation Research at the University of Texas at Austin are working with the National Science Foundation to better understand the travel choices and behaviors of EV drivers for travel modeling purposes. This is very important research for EV drivers, as the models these researchers produce may help improve infrastructure planning for EV drivers in the future. It’s really important research, and we need EV drivers input to improve the system.

EV drivers can help by taking this online survey, which will directly impact travel modeling and planning.

www.utexas.edu/research/ctr/survey

Responses are completely anonymous, and we respect your privacy.

The survey closes on April 22nd, so it would be great it you could share this next week, if possible.

I really do appreciate your help to produce the best research possible to improve the future of EV in the US.

Thank you!

I might mention that without separating out vehicles by range, lumping together all "EVs" may make your results a little suspect... for example, obviously someone with a leaf with it's limited range and slow charging are far less likely to take a cross country roadtrip than someone with a Tesla with much longer range and superchargers...

I wrote that my driving habits were "unchanged", but on 2nd thought, that's not true.
I no longer think about where gas stations are. I don't worry about being late because I need to fill up. I can drive in the carpool lane in CA. I'm more likely to take my bike with me as I can easily toss it in the car without taking a wheel off.

On the whole, it's just better.

One downside, though, is that my dark blue car doesn't get washed nearly as often as it should because I never go to the car_wash/gas_station combo.

Some of the questions seemed too contrived:
You have 55 miles of range left, you need to go 60 miles, and it would take you one hour to charge enough to get home.
Do you go out of the way to charge at a mall, or do you take the shortest route home?

Where's the answer: "I would have done something different in the previous 200 miles so as to not wind up in that situation in the first place"?

Some of the questions seemed too contrived:
You have 55 miles of range left, you need to go 60 miles, and it would take you one hour to charge enough to get home.
Do you go out of the way to charge at a mall, or do you take the shortest route home?

Where's the answer: "I would have done something different in the previous 200 miles so as to not wind up in that situation in the first place"?

I thought that as well. The survey was made by people who don't drive an EV.

Same here. I had difficulty with the idea that I would have to charge for an hour.Kept thinking couldnt I just charge up enough to get home and then leave. Not taking the whole hour.

The question wasn't realistic because the charging time would also be variable. If you decide to go farther out of your way to charge somewhere that has "entertainment" then you'll also have to stay and charge longer.

I don't normally respond like that, but how is it not relevant in this thread? Any vehicle with an ICE, whether the vehicle also has batteries or not, would not be expected to cause any change to normal travel choices, that's the whole point to having that ICE in the first place. And I would assume that the whole point to this thread was to see how not having that ICE would affect people.
Therfore stating that a vehicle with a power source other than batteries isn't causing a change to driving behaviour, isn't really relevant to the discussion.

FWIW, changes to our households travel choices are:

1. No out-of-the-way gas station stops - go straight to the destination.
2. If we need to pick something up at the store, drop off mail, or any other mundane errands, we don't have to plan as much. (Do I need to do something else while the engine is warm?)
3. Who gets to use it?