Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing the new front AWD motor compared to the rear motor- How Difficult?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
While everyone waits for the Model X which of course will be great, I began to wonder if replacing the front engine will be as easy as replacing the rear?
Tesla has done a great job with the Model S insuring service is an integral component of their design philosophy.
Clearly one of the great benefits of the rear motor is the relative ease of dropping the unit.
Should we expect the same with the front engine based on the difference in size/shape and placement? It certainly appears to be more difficult to get at and replace.
Since the motor will be new one would expect some initial difficulties with a higher replacement rate than the Model S.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if the final design looks different.

front awd motor.PNG

Last edited:
I think one potential way to service the front drivetrain would be to lift it out through the Frunk after removing it's inner liner. Just an educated guess having removed and reinstalled (R&R) more drivetrains than I can count.

I agree...it looks like it would simply drop down through the fronk after unbolting the half shafts and connections. It looks like the front struts do not impinge onto the motor area. But...just as the rear motor has a metal covering above it, will the front motor have an additional metal covering over it, or just a plastic cover. I guess it would be no differrent from a front engine ICE car, as there is a metal bulkhead behind it.

The area below the frunk in the S is loaded with coolant pumps, hoses, fuse boxes, loads of wiring and the 12V battery. It may not be possible to pull the drivetrain up unless all that equipment has been relocated in the X.

I wonder if the front motor effects the new titanium plate etc.

I was just wondering that earlier today. If there's time left (crash testing, aero testing, etc), perhaps they might redesign the front of the battery pack to be more hardened, and thus not need the extra armor plates. Also, having that motor there in front of the pack will already offer some frontal protection. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.

I was just wondering that earlier today. If there's time left (crash testing, aero testing, etc), perhaps they might redesign the front of the battery pack to be more hardened, and thus not need the extra armor plates. Also, having that motor there in front of the pack will already offer some frontal protection. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.

And maybe the Model X just sits enough higher than the Model S that it's a non-issue.