Thread: Servicing the new front AWD motor compared to the rear motor- How Difficult?

Servicing the new front AWD motor compared to the rear motor- How Difficult?

While everyone waits for the Model X which of course will be great, I began to wonder if replacing the front engine will be as easy as replacing the rear?
    Tesla has done a great job with the Model S insuring service is an integral component of their design philosophy.
    Clearly one of the great benefits of the rear motor is the relative ease of dropping the unit.
    Should we expect the same with the front engine based on the difference in size/shape and placement? It certainly appears to be more difficult to get at and replace.
    Since the motor will be new one would expect some initial difficulties with a higher replacement rate than the Model S.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if the final design looks different.

Name:  front awd motor.PNG
Views: 1202
Size:  170.1 KB
    Last edited by aronth5; 2014-04-13 at 07:03 PM.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    My understanding is the front motor would drop down with the rest of the power train just like the rear motor does now.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    My understanding is the front motor would drop down with the rest of the power train just like the rear motor does now.
    One would hope so, but the picture certainly makes it appear to be more difficult. Could well be the angle.
    Name:  front awd motor2.PNG
Views: 669
Size:  297.9 KB

I think one potential way to service the front drivetrain would be to lift it out through the Frunk after removing it's inner liner. Just an educated guess having removed and reinstalled (R&R) more drivetrains than I can count.
    P85 (Ordered 05/28/14) MC RED|Tan Leather|Obeche Gloss|Tech|Air|Spoiler|Red Calipers|Parcel Shelf|Twin Chargers|HPWC|Alcantara|Premium Lighting|Parking Sensors, Aftermkt: OPTI-COTE Pro | Lighted T | 19" T Sportline TST Grey Turbines| 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 (Del 10/25/14)| Model X (Reserved 10/31/13) 15.25Kw Solar Powers Everything

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarguy View Post
    I think one potential way to service the front drivetrain would be to lift it out through the Frunk after removing it's inner liner. Just an educated guess having removed and reinstalled (R&R) more drivetrains than I can count.
    I agree...it looks like it would simply drop down through the fronk after unbolting the half shafts and connections. It looks like the front struts do not impinge onto the motor area. But...just as the rear motor has a metal covering above it, will the front motor have an additional metal covering over it, or just a plastic cover. I guess it would be no differrent from a front engine ICE car, as there is a metal bulkhead behind it.
    Model S 85kW, White/Black Leather/Lacewood/21 inch wheels/Tech/Air Suspension/Sound Studio Package/CF Spoiler/Parcel Shelf/Twin Chargers
    Model X (Reservation #2xx)

The area below the frunk in the S is loaded with coolant pumps, hoses, fuse boxes, loads of wiring and the 12V battery. It may not be possible to pull the drivetrain up unless all that equipment has been relocated in the X.

I wonder if the front motor effects the new titanium plate etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasdevil View Post
    I wonder if the front motor effects the new titanium plate etc.
    I was just wondering that earlier today. If there's time left (crash testing, aero testing, etc), perhaps they might redesign the front of the battery pack to be more hardened, and thus not need the extra armor plates. Also, having that motor there in front of the pack will already offer some frontal protection. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.
    Model S P85D Delivered 12/22/14. Red, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85 1/17/13, sold 12/23/14. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyAdopter View Post
    I was just wondering that earlier today. If there's time left (crash testing, aero testing, etc), perhaps they might redesign the front of the battery pack to be more hardened, and thus not need the extra armor plates. Also, having that motor there in front of the pack will already offer some frontal protection. It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing.
    And maybe the Model X just sits enough higher than the Model S that it's a non-issue.
    Roadster Sport #969 (Jet Black). "NV MYEV"
    Model X Sig # 184. "L0L MPG"
    Vertically integrated personal oil and gas industry online Feb 2013, upgraded March 2014 (10kW Solar Array)

I don't care if it's difficult. I won't be doing it.

Thread Information