Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port lights have gone crazy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last few days when I unplug the Roadster it is showing red not green, which normally means a problem but all appears well as I am at a full charge. When charging it shows a blinking red, again I would expect green. Then instead of the Blue waiting to charge I am seeing purple (blue and red). Has anyone else experienced crazy behavior in the charging lights? I am not seeing any error codes or any indication of a problem. But it is disconcerting the behavior has changed for no apparent reason.

The last few days when I unplug the Roadster it is showing red not green, which normally means a problem but all appears well as I am at a full charge. When charging it shows a blinking red, again I would expect green. Then instead of the Blue waiting to charge I am seeing purple (blue and red). Has anyone else experienced crazy behavior in the charging lights? I am not seeing any error codes or any indication of a problem. But it is disconcerting the behavior has changed for no apparent reason.

A full reset usually fixes it. I don't know how to do it and it may not be possible.
It is very likely a software issue (LED states are controlled by the charge firmware).

This happened to somebody else but I can't find the thread now. The different colors are produced by combining LED colors. I don't know what Tesla uses to make green but it might be a combination of red and something else - perhaps blue? If you've lost your blue then it will be red. The colors are not the same as paint (where blue + yellow makes green), and may not be the same as RGB color schemes but I'm not sure.

The orange is likely produced by combining red and green, and white is all colors (RGB) at full power. The color shift reported by OP cannot be produced by one color missing in a contribution. It is more plausible that the status to color conversion got its output channels mixed up.

Well now with the exception of the white to help one to plug in I have no lights. So I think it is likely a wiring issue. I have tried to contact service twice with no luck. So by chance does anyone know anything about the charge port lights and/or how the wires are routed? Thank you

At my annual servicing they replaced the charge port lights for about $475. I was expecting worse being out of warranty and there was no issue with getting the replacement part. So all is good. They did a great job on the annual servicing even giving me a Model S loaner. The Model S was nicely refined and I see a very bright future for Tesla.