Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal rear door functionality when locked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebooted, turned off child locks and on and off. I can duplicate. I'd love to see if someone else can verify.

When the car is locked, when you pull on the rear passenger handles, it doesn't open the doors, but causes the handles to extend, which then allows a second pull to open the door.

Just trying to see if this is normal.

I just verified this same behavior in my car... Sitting in the back seat, I locked the car with he fob. First pull of the handle unlocks that specific door and puts the handle out for just that door. This is only from the back seat.

Also, after the handle went back in, the door remains unlocked (the rest remained locked), even though I "walked away with the fob."... So going back up to the car later without the fob and pressing on the handle makes just that handle extend. All other doors wouldn't extend handles.

Same behavior using the app. En you have unlock and relock the doors to get that door to lock again.

Since there is no lock/unlock method in the rear seat, perhaps this is like the unlock method. I guess I don't see the reason for this since you can't relock the door then... Other than preventing the whole car from becoming unlocked... Idk. To prevent a child from getting locked in since there is no unlock button for them to press back there is my only thought.... No locking your kids in the hot car and going to the bar in this car (a good thing in that case).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Well, the front doors don't behave like this, regardless of them being locked. The front doors just open on one pull even if the car is locked. So trying to understand the reason for the difference and if it's normal. Looks like it's standard behavior. Now understanding why, would be the next question.

I'm going from a fuzzy memory here but I believe it's related to how the handles are physically plumbed. The front inside handles are physically connected to the latch so even if power is out the door will still open. The rear inside handles are not physically connected to the latch so they only work if the car is powered. There are manual releases below the seat.

So this behavior could be related to that. The fronts could/would require two pulls except they can physically unlatch the door while in the rears it's one pull to unlock, one pull to open (like BMWs).

In order to open the rear passenger doors from inside when the car is locked, you have to pull the inside handles twice in order to open the door? The first pull doesn't open, then the second pull opens.

Yes this is normal behavior. The first pull unlocks the door, the second pull opens the door. VW doors work in exactly the same manner.

With the doors unlocked (driver opens door first) then a single pull is all that is required.

I'm going from a fuzzy memory here but I believe it's related to how the handles are physically plumbed. The front inside handles are physically connected to the latch so even if power is out the door will still open. The rear inside handles are not physically connected to the latch so they only work if the car is powered. There are manual releases below the seat.

The fronts are mechanically linked to the latch, but only when pulling the handle more than normal (towards the end of its travel), but that is not related to the discussion here because the car already electronically releases the front door with a single pull (without using the mechanical release).

Side Note: The rears are not mechanically-linked so that the child-safety lock feature can be implemented. That's why the emergency mechanical releases are by the seat bottoms.